We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More time in Paris or Berlin?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
More time in Paris or Berlin?

Ok I am doubling posting this for fairness, I have a week in January, flying into Berlin on Sunday, and out of Paris Saturday, now... who should I give more time to? Or shall I split it up evenly?

A bit about me if it helps, 31 year old guy traveling solo, low to medium budget, athletic - no problem walking around all day, still into parting but equally into museums, culture, or adventure excursions if that is an option. Speak a few languages but French and German are not on that list! I've only been to London and Amsterdam in Europe but have been to several other countries around the world... I will be coming to Berlin after spending New Years Eve in Russia... so TA... what do you think?

Thanks as always to anyone who replies!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More time in Paris or Berlin?

More time in Paris, by a ratio of about ten to one.

Of course, there are fans of Berlin, too, but both of them are in a different forum.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 02:20
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More time in Paris or Berlin?

I would split it evenly.

Berlin has a very alive nightlife (in my opinion), if you like modern art - great stuff, and also very nice compliment to 20th century history with your Russia trip.

Paris has lots of culture and also nice museums....and would compliment nicely with European history with your Russia trip :-D (Napoleon, the window to Europe, etc).

Edit: But yes, there is tons of opinions on this. You should read about both cities and see if one "pulls" you more than another.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 02:33
los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More time in Paris or Berlin?

Just be careful when you split the time up because we often have less time than we think we do. You are arriving in Berlin on Sunday (so you probably begin your stay there in late afternoon?), and your last day in Paris is Friday (as you depart on Saturday), and you still have to subtract a travel day from Berlin to Paris. Still, what a problem to have! You are a lucky guy!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: More time in Paris or Berlin?

For a solo 31 year old traveler? Berlin hands down. Berliners are much more outgoing than Parisians, it is a very multi-cultural, hip, fun city to be in. Things are happening in Berlin.

Paris is...Paris. Wonderful, iconic, and self controlled. Not to say hip and fun and outgoing isn't happening. It is. But I don't think it is as accessible as it is in Berlin.

Bottom line is you will love both. When I was your age, I loved Berlin more.

Release the hounds!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More time in Paris or Berlin?

LOL thanks mcal3k, and excellent points, I arrive in Berlin Sunday night, so I'll have that evening, I leave Paris Saturday afternoon, so I will have that morning.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
410 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More time in Paris or Berlin?

I love both places very much, going on my honeymoon in November to both Berlin and Paris. I would say going solo, I would ot for Berlin, that is not a knock on Paris, but if you stay in Mitte, you will have a lot of possibilities for you.

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More time in Paris or Berlin?

Berlin is great, but in January... keep in mind that the German capital is quite up North. In this season, it is basically dark by 2/3 PM, so you'll be losing 1 1/2 hours of day light compared to Paris. It is also a city that's very spread out, it is difficult to "do" it quickly, whereas Paris is more compact, and you can just stroll your way through it. I'd do 3 days Berlin, 4 days Paris, with the caveat that mcal was stressing.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 04:50
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: More time in Paris or Berlin?

Sorry RVP, but I live in one of those "Northern" cities and the sun does not set at 2 or 3pm in January. It sets at 4pm. Not a huge difference, but if you live there, it is. Berlin is not Alaska or Iceland.

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More time in Paris or Berlin?

Jrudq, not unlike many US citizens, you think that what is valid in your country happens to be the standard for the rest of the world. I happen to have spent one winter in Berlin and one winter in Michigan. Granted, the sun theoretically sets at 16h00 in January in Berlin, but this is Northern Europe, grey skies, and by 14h30 all the lights are on in apartments and offices. Some winter days, to be honest, you wonder whether the sun has risen at all! On the other hand, in Michigan (with a climate not far from Minnesota's I guess), it's really cold, but clear skies and sun on most winter days, so you easily gain 2 hours of "daylight feeling" compared to Berlin.

Edited: 11 August 2012, 05:36
10. Re: More time in Paris or Berlin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 14:16