We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Horrible apartment rentsl experience

I recently rented an apartment from Paris Autrement. What an unfortunate choice that was. Two weeks prior to our "trip of a lifetime" our son had a serious injury due to a fall. We contacted Paris Autrement immediately and aprised them of our sons hospitalization. They said not to worry that they would cancel the reservation immediately.

Then a couple days later they said don't worry we will market the apartment as available and return 100% of the days we can re rent! Yikes!

Then they did not list the apartment as available on their website.

Then they stopped responding to my pleas.

In the end they only returned half of the substantial amount of money they had in their posassion.

We really hope to go to Paris one day after our son is rehabilitated. It will be tough to do financially since Paris Autrement kept so much money and told us that our reasons for cancelling did not matter to them.

Legal, yes....short sighted...yes...Use their services at your own risk. You will have no recourse if you have problems with them or their apartments.

Edited: 15 August 2012, 23:30
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
494 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,171 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

I am wondering why they were nice and communcative at first then became rude, ok,, no , I am not wondering at all. You are quite easy to go on the attack as you have really been rather rude to several posters on this thread. None of us work for the company, and apparently most of us understand a bit more about cancellation insurance then you do.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Jenbrin I am very sorry for your son's injury and also for your ruined holiday. I am another who thinks that you were very lucky to get 50% of your money back from Paris Autrement and I think that they have acted very generously to you.

Can I suggest that when you organise your next holiday you read and understand the cancellation policies for your flights, accomodation, and any other significant expenses so that if you are unfortunate enough to need to cancel again you won't have this type of unpleasant surprise.

I do think that most of your problem was your unrealistic expectation that your expenses would be refunded.

You should also investigate a decent travel insurance policy for your next holiday. Every policy has slightly different inclusions and exclusions but full coverage for the circumstances you descibe is very common.

Did you actually purchase comprehensive travel insurance for this trip? If so have you submitted a claim? From your comments about it only covering your son or if someone died it seems that if you did purchase insurance it was a very unusual policy.

Finally I wish you and your son all the best with his rehabilitation.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Could you please explain to me why it is that Autrement should take the entire loss for the rental? You were booked, they'd received payment, and when you cancelled at the last second they certainly had the option of refusing to refund anything.

There is no justifiable reason on the planet why they should take the financial loss while an apartment (their livelihood!) sits vacant during high season. I think they were more than fair in giving you half your money back.

And joan1 is right-on in her assessment of why it is they stopped replying to you.

(yes, I understand it was an accident. Yes, I understand your son was hospitalized, and I hope he's on the mend quickly. And yes, decent travel insurance would have covered all of your cancellations.)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Perthaps some people think that the agencies should take out cancellation insurance rather than the renters. Then everybody would be happy and you could cancel at the last minute -- of course the rental fees would probably double, but hey, no big deal, right?

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Since the 1980s, I have often rented self-catering holiday accommodation - both country cottages and city apartments, in the UK, and in several European countries, and I can not recall even ONE rental where I was told I would get money back if I had to/chose to cancel within one month of my proposed holiday dates. In many cases, the rental company have insisted at the time of booking that I must either take out the insurance they propose, or have alternative insurance in place (I have an annual policy).

Over the decades I have been doing this, I have just accepted that that is how it is. I strongly prefer apartments, so I accept that, if I did have to cancel, I would then have to claim through my insurance.

I have often read that, if you are willing to stay in a hotel rather than an apartment, you can expect much more generous/lenient cancellation terms - although even then, you should stil have insurance to cover the cost of pre-booked transport.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Even hotels have no-refund cancellation policies, depending on the type of rate you book.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

No joy here...my guess is the OP has left the building.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Hmm.. why does that always happen when someone comes on and posts a rant dripping with righteous indignation, then the error of their ways is pointed out to them....;)

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Yeah, the OP came to gripe and got no love...

I think it's the usual sense of entitlement that has pervaded our society. Everything is someone else's fault and you shouldn't have to pay for anything and you deserve all the benefits no matter what someone else's burdens.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,102 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

I don't quite agree, the company should have pointed out immediately that the money is nonrefundable and that they would attempt to rent to someone else and perhaps refund partially ..seems this wasn't the case.

To OP - you probably just got health insurance. When renting a flat the cancellation policies are normally quite punitive -- you loose the entire payment, hence the need for expensive insurance with total coverage ..and many people's reaction in regard to you being lucky to have received a partial refund.