We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Horrible apartment rentsl experience

I recently rented an apartment from Paris Autrement. What an unfortunate choice that was. Two weeks prior to our "trip of a lifetime" our son had a serious injury due to a fall. We contacted Paris Autrement immediately and aprised them of our sons hospitalization. They said not to worry that they would cancel the reservation immediately.

Then a couple days later they said don't worry we will market the apartment as available and return 100% of the days we can re rent! Yikes!

Then they did not list the apartment as available on their website.

Then they stopped responding to my pleas.

In the end they only returned half of the substantial amount of money they had in their posassion.

We really hope to go to Paris one day after our son is rehabilitated. It will be tough to do financially since Paris Autrement kept so much money and told us that our reasons for cancelling did not matter to them.

Legal, yes....short sighted...yes...Use their services at your own risk. You will have no recourse if you have problems with them or their apartments.

Edited: 15 August 2012, 23:30
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,843 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Was it for one person or a family?

And, even $150 times 3 or 4 adds up quickly to hundredS.

Edited: 03 October 2012, 01:33
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,322 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

$150 is not going to insure a $10000 trip and medical insurance with med-evac for someone medicare age for a long trip is in the hundreds of dollars --

I have a relative in the UK who can get really good travel insurance for very little but that is not possible in the US to cover medical care and certainly to cover very high losses for apartments etc.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who had such insurance and then had to use it for apartment rental and how that worked out.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

I had a look at our insurance premium for our last trip. The total premium for the 4 of us was $251.50, so around $63 each.

For each of us, that covered $5,000,000 in emergency health insurance, $1,500 baggage, $500,000 accident on aircraft, $100,000 accident while travelling, and $1,500 each cancellation. That was the cancellation amount I had covered by insurance, as that was the cost of each of our flights, and our proportionate share of the apartment rental. Those were the only things we had paid for upfront.

Fortunately we didn't have to use it, so I have no experience with how the processing of claims goes. But for $63 each, it seemed well worth it.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

>>if you can afford to travel then you can afford to lose the money<<

Janet, I suppose if you can afford to lose that kind of money then good for you and it would make sense to skip the insurance. However, this logic goes way over my head, and I seriously doubt that this applies to most leisure travelers.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,843 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Money spent on holidays isn't a crucial financial investment, it's just money spent, so of course if you can afford the hols you can afford the loss. That's how I see it too.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

I appreciate that in the UK I can can get much better insurance for a low price than many other countries, so I can see why some people prefer not to pay out, but I still don't agree with Janet fully. OK so maybe you could technically afford to lose any money you've already paid out for a trip, but what if something happens to keep you at your travel destination creating additional expense that you hadn't allowed for.

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

MomCat1992, I was very excited to read that AmEx travel insurance covered natural disasters like the volcanic ash situation. I've been searching for that kind of coverage for a long time and have had to make do with what was available. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to residents in Italy. Back to the drawing-board.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,843 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

<<but what if something happens to keep you at your travel destination creating additional expense that you hadn't allowed for>>

It's essential to get health insurance, other emergencies I figure I can handle.

Blue Cross has family specials, I always get their summer health insurance family plan, good May to September for $100 or so, and no limit to how many trips or how long the trips ..and we're abroad most of the summer.

The volcanic ash situation started right after our departure to Italy -- we arrived to Rome and airports started closing.. by the time we were leaving airports reopened, so it's just as well that we did not cancel our trip :))

And at worst, we'd have lost money on (very low priced) plane tics, one/first night hotel charge (max), pre-purchased ballet tics.

Beaumont, TX
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

AFDS- please take a look at Chartis/Travel Guard. I had a trip delayed due to a hurricane in the States ("natural disaster/act of God'), and my flights were updated at no cost to me and the portion of my rental I didn't use was fully refunded. I don't know the details of coverage for other countries, but they were WONDERFUL to me. It was about $180 for my $4600 trip to be fully insured. Good luck!

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Horrible apartment rentsl experience

Thank you for the suggestion, brchodzin, I'll check that out.