We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-alcoholic beer or wine in supermarkets?????

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Non-alcoholic beer or wine in supermarkets?????

Hi guys,

One of the experiences that I always enjoys most in Paris is sitting out for a picnic enjoying a nice cool beer or a glass of wine. However, I am pregnant so that is out of the question for our upcoming trip in September,

I was just wondering if anyone knew if you could buy any non-alcoholic beer or wine in the likes of Monoprix etc so that I bring it along for our picnics and not feel as though I'm missing out on the experience?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-alcoholic beer or wine in supermarkets?????

Non alcoholic beer is very easy to find. Buckler is the most common brand (made by Heineken, I think). Kronenbourg also makes non alcoholic beer but I generally only see it in the biggest places. There was an effort to market non alcoholic wine about 20 years ago, but it went nowhere, and I don't think I've seen it since then.

You might want to buy some Panach', a canned shandy (beer mixed with lemon-lime soda). The alcohol content is only 1%. There are also store brands (Carrefour, Leader Price, etc.) that are cheaper, always labeled as "panaché" which is what you call it at a café -- unfortunately for you, the café version would have more than 1% alcohol, because they just put the glass under the beer tap and then under the 'limonade' tap, so the end result would be about 2 or 3% alcohol.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-alcoholic beer or wine in supermarkets?????

Having tried non-alcoholic wines when I was pregnant, I can absolutely tell you to just not bother. They're foul.

There are LOADS of non-alcoholic drinks in Paris - from juices to sirops (flavored syrups in still water) to diabolos (syrup in sparkling water) to Orangina - a blend of orange juice and water - not too sweet, and at least somewhat healthier than other fizzy drinks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-alcoholic beer or wine in supermarkets?????

Hi, I agree with both the previous comments...you will have plenty of choice and some of them taste pretty ordinary. If all else fails you can go sparkling mineral water! The good news is that you have plenty of choice and they are easy to get...and at the end of the day your taste buds alone will tell you if it tastes any good. Enjoy your trip!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-alcoholic beer or wine in supermarkets?????

That's great guys, thanks a million. I don't mind the taste of non-alcoholic beer so it's good to know that I will be able to get it readily enough.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-alcoholic beer or wine in supermarkets?????

Monoprix sells non alcoholic wine. Twist top 250ml bottle variety. Almost bought some by mistake the other day when I'd forgotten my corkscrew.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-alcoholic beer or wine in supermarkets?????

You look for "Bière sans alcool" if it's beer you want.

7. Re: Non-alcoholic beer or wine in supermarkets?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 05:16