We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Mantes la Ville from Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Mantes la Ville from Paris

On another thread I found out that Amadou & Mariam will be back in France towards the end of this year (they are a spectacular musician couple from Mali - and both are blind). I checked their web and found that during my month in Paris they will be playing at a Blues on the Seine concert on Saturday Nov 24.

I see that Mantes la Ville is only about 48 km from Paris. What would be the best way to get there? I'm ready to buy a ticket but not until I see if it's doable, realizing that I may have to spend the night.

Thanks!

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Mantes la Ville from Paris

A straightforward look at the website of the city of Mantes la Ville is enough to know that there is one SNCF station there, called "Mantes Station". It is served by trains from Saint-Lazare and Montparnasse. Schedules and prices on www.transilien.com.

Then of course you would have to know where the concert actually takes place. This kind of banlieue is quite spread out, so there might be a few km between the station and the actual venue. Blues en Seine should have their website too.

It seems that Mantes la Ville and Mantes la Jolie share the same station. I don't know these places first hand, but Mantes la Jolie is one of those hotspots of the Paris suburbs where, for instance, our former president did not dare make an official visit. Locals from this very area might be able to cast more light on the lay of the land, probably more so on the Yvelines or Ile de France forums. It might be worth it to rent a car for a day rather than braving the train, the walk/bus to the venue and back, and, most of all the late train back to Paris on a Saturday night, even though it is only 30-40 mn.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Mantes la Ville from Paris

The principal station is Mantes-la-Jolie and there some non-stop trains to there from St-Lazare station in Paris taking just over 30 minutes. There are also more frequent slower services. There is another station called Mantes-Station where only the slower trains stop. Mantes-Station is closer to your venue - Salle Jacques Brel, 21 Rue des Merisiers, 78200 Mantes-la-Ville, - about 15 minutes on foot. The hotspot RendezVousPar... refers to is Le Val-Fourré, a ghetto of tower blocks built in the 60s & 70s which houses 28000 of the town's 45000 population. It is about 3km from Mantes-la-Jolie station on the outskirts of town - nowhere near the concert. Many trains also stop at another "hotspot" called Les Mureaux, or on the slower line there are also 2 hotspots 'Le Val d'Argenteuil" and "Chanteloup-les-Vignes". I live on the 2nd line & have never had any problems. Make sure you travel in a well-frequented carriage if you take the train.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Mantes la Ville from Paris

The main way to get there is out of Saint Lazare. Very easy to find the trains, because it is the end of the commuter line, so the signs say "Direction Mantes."

The concert is early -- 19:15 -- so there is absolutely no need to spend the night.

Edited: 19 August 2012, 10:04
4. Re: Getting to Mantes la Ville from Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 05:17