We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

houston
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

Hello,

I am young proffesional traveling to UK for business and I decided to come in the weekend before my conference and take the train ti Paris.

With that being said I need some advice-should I try and find an inexpensive place to stay the night or come just for the day? The focal point of the weekend trip is to dedicate the bulk of my time at the Louvre. I am on a budget and need to keep my expenses down while I am there so any advice you can offer for a young woman, traveling alone would be great.

Places to stay-tips on inexpensive restaurants etc. I am booking my flight to leave Houston and arrive into London on Saturday Morning @ going directly to St. Pancreas to catch the train. I need to be back in London Monday morning.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,102 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

Well check out Hotel Diana, if they have a room it would be ideal for sightseeing, cheap , clean etc. Also, Hotel Eugenie, easy walk to Louvre, metro and RER and Notre Dame. Getting a room last minute may be tough, but won't be impossible. If you can staying a night makes good sense, but if you can only spare a day go early and stay late!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

Why don't you book to fly into Paris and Home from London??

You can still use Eurostar one-way to travel between them, and you then won't spend further hours travelling all across London to use the train to then travel on to Paris.

Failing that, fly from the London Airport (you don't say which one, but guessing Heathrow) to Paris perhaps??

By the way, the London Eurostar station is St Pancras (pancreas is a part of the body that makes Insulin, and some digestive enzymes....)

scotland
Level Contributor
204 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

Hi,

I'm sure some of the more experienced travellers will be along soon to answer your question more in-depth. There are plenty of places to look for inexpensive hotels in Paris, I always use: www.budgetplaces.com

Last year, me and my partner stayed in the Luna Park Hotel, in the 11th. It was fantastic, very basic, but very clean. Dependant on your tastes, it may or may not suffice. It was close to Parmentier and Oberkampf metro, which made visiting the sights easy for us. There was a supermarket, a boulangerie, nightlife, and even a McDonalds all within a 5 minute walk.

I have booked again for this September, but staying at the Hipotel in the 10th (Luna Park had no vacancies, otherwise we would have been back there instead).

Alternatively, you could try google for a more personal choice of what is to your taste with regards to hotel.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,987 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

On arrival day, after an overnight flight you'll more than likely be tired. You'll also want to allow plenty of time to make your train connection, allowing for the possibility of flight delays.

In this case I would definitely book a hotel in Paris. What about your luggage - what are you planning to doing with it? Or you could spend Saturday night in London and take an early train to Paris on Sunday - returning Sunday eve.

Have you checked the fares for the train? Walk up fares can be expensive - the cheapest fares are available 90 day in advance. If you have time I would purchase advance train tickets.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

Alternatively, perhaps you could do the day in Paris at the end of your conference if your schedule allows. Don't underestimate the effect of jetlag. You might be better off just hanging in London upon your arrival and getting acclimated to the time difference and resting up before your conference.

And if you can change your flights to be into one country and out of the other, that would be great as well.

houston
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

THanks for those hotel suggestions I am going tolook it up now.

I thought about flying into Paris but the fare increase to fly into France and out of London was really high and didnt want to push my luck since company is paying for flights.

I am going straight from Heathrow to train station and was planning on buying my train ticket online. I dont have to leave Paris until Monday morning to get bavk to London so I will have 1/2 day sat and all day sunday there.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

Ah yes, I understand about the company paying for your flights and you having to be 'honourable' as far as that is concerned.

However, still think you should look at cheap flights to Paris, as by the time you have got out of the Airport (you still don't say which but still guess Heathrow) trekked all the way into the centre of London to St Pancras and then found your Paris Hotel, you might as well have flown.

Still I guess that perhaps it could work out a few dollars cheaper to take the train - will it be 'value for money' or the best use of your valuable time?? Only you can decide!

Whatever you do come up with , I hope it works out and I hope you enjoy your time in Paris!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

About the flights - be sure you are looking at return/mult-destination flights when booking. We did this, and the cost of into Zurich and out of Paris was not much more than return, and we used two different carriers. Your plan may be OK if all goes well but as with any travelling delays can happen. We experienced a 90 minute delay on the Eurostar last week.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

You will want to search this forum for other advice on how long to allow between your arrival at Heathrow and booking the Eurostar to Paris. If you buy one of the cheaper tickets on the Eurostar, and miss the train, you are out of luck. As I remember, the advice is to allow at least 4-5 hours -- others will correct me if I'm wrong. But basically you want to allow for late arrival of your flight.

And are you planning then to take an early Eurostar back from Paris on Monday morning or the late one on Sunday night?

Essex
Level Contributor
28,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to UK for work and decided to come to Paris for

Check out TALF - the TA London Forum for advice on getting from the airport to St Pancras - the question comes up time & time again, so there are plenty who can help you with it.