We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking tours?

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
1,128 reviews
Save Topic
Walking tours?

Welcome recommendations of these for Paris, Fall.

Last time, I took one with Paris-Walks (Montmartre) I quite enjoyed--no reservations, just meet up and pay about 12 Euros. I am planning to take more. Any you particularly enjoyed?

I just read of City Free--these I think you take for free and tip. Can anyone tell me what you tipped? Shall I assume 10-12 Euros? Any you recommend?

Others? Thank you.

Wego Walking Tours
Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Paris by Martin & Friends
Night Tours, Walking Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours
Babylon Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking tours?

Best bet is to just choose those of interest with convenient times.

With a tip, the "free" tours cost about the same as the ones you pay for.

For the "just show up" tours, I always hang back to ensure the group will not be too large.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
1,128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking tours?

thanks for your replies!

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking tours?

discoverwalks.com......have good reviews here and offer free tours.

They also have day and night photography tours, although not cheap (average 70 EU-150 EU)

Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking tours?

I don't know that I can recommend, as we haven't done it yet, but we have booked for a walking tour at the end of September with Sight Seekers Delight. Why? Well, the reviews on TA are mainly excellent, the group size is small, and the tour of Paris along the Seine lasts 4 hours which for 40 Euros I think is fair. I hate the whole tipping palaver and I believe in paying a fair rate for a job well done. The tour was easy to book on their website and we were able to pick a time to suit us. They also do other shorter tours of areas like Montmartre at a lesser cost.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking tours?

I have done several pariswalks and found them excellent. They charge about 12euros ..... I know you asked about the Louvre on another post and for a person like me who does not know about art, I found thier Louvre tour to be very useful and informative. They go at a quiet time and see all the main attractions and you have time to browse yourself as well.

However recently I have taken a few discoverwalks in Paris after taking one in Krakow and in Tallin......which are free. They have all been excellent, at least as good as pariswalks and I would imagine present a threat to pariswalks business. If there are more than 20 people, they call another guide and split the group in two. So the group is never too big.

I usually tipped 10euro, because it is an easy note to give and I suppose it is comparable with pariswalks.

Some students I notice give 5euro each and some sneak off before the tour finishes....Which I suppose you could do if the tour is not good.

.I think 10 euro is fair as they are young people. Always local, so have good knowledge, and they are earning a living.

Love from Bolton.

hare are some of my blog entries about the walks.

Edited: 05 September 2012, 22:06
new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
1,128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking tours?

thanks what a great idea I will look them up new to me happy to tip 10 euro

and itnerested also how was krakow?

7. Re: Walking tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 10:17