We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer and will be driving in...

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
207 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
First timer and will be driving in...

I have a combo personal-biz trip coming up in a couple of weeks. (just found out) I will be taking my wife. I will be flying into Strasburg and driving into germany for the first part of the week then returning to eastern France for another meeting. then driving to paris for our flight back to the states. We will be arriving in Paris on Thursday evening/night (27 sept) and departing sat pm (1600). First question. Should I just drop the car off at CDG thursday and not bother with finding parking? Then Hotel recomendations? while I'd love to stay at a $1000/night room I don't think the boss would like that too much. and the assumed asked question.--what are the must see's with such a small amount of time. While I'm sure the Museums are outstanding i don't feel like that would be "paris" especially if the weather cooperates. from the posts. effiel tower, seine river cruise, norte dame. champes.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer and will be driving in...

Once you've chosen a hotel, find a convenient drop off for the car. It doesn't have to be CDG. But, you should definitely drop the car off when you arrive in Paris.

If I understand correctly, you will have only one full day in Paris?

If your flight home is at 4PM, you'll have to leave Paris for CDG around noon.

Since you have so little time, if the weather is nice, you may want to consider l'Opentour hop on/hop off buses to maximize the scenery you can get around to.

Recommend booking a hotel forthwith, as the end of September books up far ahead and the longer you wait the fewer your choices. Do your best, then keep looking if you wish.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer and will be driving in...

Hello! I just got back..it was my first time...Driving in paris is CRAZY! so if it were me i would ditch the car. we stayed at Le royal hotel on Blvd Raspail. Very clean very nice. Close to a zillion restaurants and the staff speaks english very well and are extrely helpful...since I am no parisian and dont pretend to know what your best options are i will say that we went to see Cathedral Notre Dame ( awesome) we had dinner IN the eiffel tower..even more awesome and went to the lourve to see the Mona lisa..A cruise up the seine might be nice we were going to do it but it was so unseasonably cold i just could not bare it. Go to the Latin Quarter and hand out at the cafes and shops ...that IS paris..and the shopping at galleries Lafayette is amazing if your into that as well. Hope this helps...( Oh..bring your own wash cloths, there not big on those in europe)..again I just got back but since no one else answered i figured my suggestions couldnt hurt! :) happy travels

Edited: 04 September 2012, 23:51
Ulverston, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer and will be driving in...

I agree that you should get rid of the car before going into Paris to stay. Driving in Paris would be as much as a shock to you as the prices for parking! if you drop the car at CDG you can use the RER train to get into the city if you don't have too much luggage. If , however, you do have lots of/large bags, take a taxi to your accommodation.

As your dates are soon and you don't have too much time to get organised, your priority should be to find a good hotel in a central location so that you can maximise your day in the city. Find out your budget from your company, and then book the best you can find at that price point.

On your full day in Paris, you could start with a Foxity Tour, this is not a hoho tour but one where you ride round for about 90 minutes and get a good overview of the layout of the city. Do some homework and decide on three priorities for the rest of the day according to your interests: Eiffel Tower, Montmartre, the Marais, Ile St. Louis......... Take some time in the late afternoon for an apéro at a street cafe and watch the world go by. Then go out for a nice meal in the evening at a local bistrot, something informal and un-touristy if possible. Oh, and the Eiffel Tower is nicer later at night than during the day IMO if you want to have a walk after dinner.

The next day spend the morning wandering the streets/squares (maybe a market) near your hotel. Pick up a picnic lunch to have at the airport (Eric Kayser bakers is very good), then leave in good time for your flight back.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer and will be driving in...

Why dont you simply drop the car in Strasbourg instead of wasting your time on the road?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,221 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer and will be driving in...

There are tgv's from Strasbourg, which will take you from city center to city center. Its a good alternative.

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
207 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer and will be driving in...

We land in Strasbourg, but need to travel to Gottingen, Germany, then back to langres, Fr. before heading to Paris. Ye, I could go back to strasbourg, but then I'd miss-out on Paris.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,145 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer and will be driving in...

Old Navy - check with the car hire company to see if you can hire the car in one country and leave it in another. If you can do so, there may be significant charges for this, as the car will have to be repatriated to the original country. (Number plates, insurance etc)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,911 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer and will be driving in...

Okay -- so drop the car in Langres and take the train from there. There are some direct trains, some with one stop -- about three hours.

and if the train runs from Strasbourg to Paris....I'm reasonably sure that it runs back from Paris to Strasbourg. ;)

Edited: 09 September 2012, 19:58
Davie, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer and will be driving in...

is it better ? i will be driving around alsace next week and was considering leaving the car in strasburg instead of driving back to Paris, what train should i get ? Please, any information will help a lot. Tks

Davie, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer and will be driving in...

We are driving from Paris to Alsace next week and dont know if is better to leave the car there or drive back to CDG . Also any comments about driving to Luxemburg ? Is it worth ?