We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

new york
Level Contributor
949 posts
1,127 reviews
Save Topic
Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

I know, I know you have to go....when I went last in 2009, I was irked. One, the crowds inside. I felt as though I was looking at the backs of tourists the entire time, not enjoyable.

And, two, the mall downstairs for lunch--Rick Steves' recommendations are seldom wrong--but this one was a doozy--the food was incredibly inedible in the food court - to me at least- worse than the average airport. Perhaps it has improved in the 3 years since. I am not a food snob--I ate at the BHV department store and even once I think at Subway--great for ice in drinks--bad for bread.

I will make more of a point to see the pyramids alit at night. Thanks for that tip.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

3 trips to Paris and I have never been to the Louvre. Too big and overwhelming. Zillions of other great museums in Paris.

having said that we went down in to the Carousel entrance to the Apple store and then to the food court. I actually had very good Mediterranean food (vegetarian options for me) at one of the cafes. I would eat there again. We shared a table with a family from Eastern Europe and had a lovely conversation.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,148 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

There are huge galleries which remind me of Gertude Stein's salon - paintings put up wherever there is room with no rhyme or reason to their position. It makes walking through these galleries seem very hap-hazard to me and I come away from them without a sense of progression or development.

Pjk

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

I do agree that this attraction is popular and also if you haven't been then you won't know whether you will like it or not.

Personally I have been and I don't like it.

Crowds of people aren't pleasant but expected.

My greatest disappointment which will no doubt rile some people was the Mona Lisa.

All in all I don't like the Louvre at all even down to the architecture but that is just me.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

bevhicklin, that's not surprising about the Mona Lisa - it's primarily famous for its historical significance, which, if you're not into art history, you wouldn't know - and then you would be left trying to figure out what's so special about this tiny painting :-) A very honest reaction.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

Seanie,, ha ha, pretty dangerous to say it here, but that photo was taken at my new favorite destination,, a small town on the Costa Brava coast that we loved! Sangria, the beach in front of me, the remains of 14th century ramparts to my right, and the old medieval town behind them, aahhhh.. a slice of heaven, and I think my smile reflects my happiness in finding nirvana.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,843 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

Mona Lisa isn't really famous for its historic significance, it is considered to be a unique creation of art, one of Leonardo da Vinci's great masterpieces. He kept this painting BTW ..But, the way this discussion is headed, someone might now post to say that he too is of little interest and his works highly overrated :((

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
47. Re: Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

Lookin' good Joanie!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

<<Mona Lisa isn't really famous for its historic significance, it is considered to be a unique creation of art, one of Leonardo da Vinci's great masterpieces. >>

I think you misunderstood me. What makes Mona Lisa a masterpiece and so unique, is precisely its place in art history:

- Realistic portrait of an unknown woman, rather than glorified painting of famous people or saints

- Background in a portrait - previously not done, in addition, it's almost surreal

- Technique of making everything a little blurry

Why this is underwhelming to the average viewer today: Since that moment in time, art has continued evolving - realistic portraits are upstaged by photorealism, dreamy backgrounds have been taken to the next level by surrealists, and of course, the blurry technique has been perfected by impressionist artists.

So, the average viewer is left wondering, what makes Mona Lisa so great? Answer: Its significance in art history.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,843 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

The average viewer?

ps The list is really much longer and should at least include her enigmatic smile.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,911 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Louvre-anyone else disappointed?

Nitpicking someone who agrees with you? Wow, that's a record.