We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris apartment rental

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paris apartment rental

My husband and I are planning to travel to Europe for a year after retirement,we would like to stay in Paris for a couple of months,Does anybody has information about Shprt term apartment rental and reliable web site? We are on a budget,Is it possible to find an apartment in Paris under US $2000 a month ?

Thanks.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.20*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
573 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.50*
Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris apartment rental

For those looking to help $2000 (U.S.) is TODAY 1560€

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris apartment rental

You are I assume aware that Americans may only visit Europe for 3 mos without a visa which while not impossible to obtain is quite a production to obtain involving purchasing very expensive health insurance policies that offer the same coverage as for example French National Insurance, as well as disclosing extensive financial information and having housing. (unless you have dual citizenship in one of the Schengen countries-- and if so, lucky you)

That is a very low budget for a monthly rent in Paris -- we have been paying about a third more than that for nice one bedroom places for a couple months at a time.

You might look on VRBO for likely choices.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,222 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris apartment rental

As janettravels you need to read up on the Schengen Visa,, you are entitled to only 90 days in total between all the countries listed on it, ( most of western europe, but not UK) as a visitor. You will then need to obtain special visas for longer stays, an involved process that you will really need to research .

Not sure myself of exact rules, but I do know there is a certain amount of time you have to be out of the countries before you can re enter and do another 90 days, so leaving and visiting UK for a week or two will not be acceptable .

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris apartment rental

it is 90 days out for every 90 days in.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris apartment rental

Thank you very much for the information,I will do more research on the residency visa.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris apartment rental

$2000 is a doable option in my opinion. You just have to be outside of those expensive areas. You might have to settle with 11 or 13 arrond. The upside of that is you will be among the local people and not too many tourists. For three months, staying out of the tourist areas is a great option as you will get to experience what it is like living there.

Try all the agencies out there. I recommend lodgis.com. They are very responsive to helping you find an apartment to you liking. Start early so you will get what you want. It takes a great deal of back and forth emailing. Some agencies are so bad at replying to your inquiries or just plainly ignore your inquiries.

One option about the visa issue is take a trip to Morocco or Tunesia while you are in Paris. That way, you don't have to worry about applying for a visa.

Upon entry to CDG, the custom sometimes does not even stamp your passport. Of the countless time I passed through, seeing that I have too many France stamps on it already, they did not care to stamp my passport.

But not getting your passport stamped may pose problem. Say if your flight was into Paris and you go to Germany for a few days....then when you leave Germany for another country, they will question about your port of entry and the stamp etc. When I left Hamburg for Barcelona, they gave me a hard time. It was not a very fun experience for me.

Happy travels and enjoy your retirement!

7. Re: Paris apartment rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 10:18