We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

Hello, everyone. I have made it to Paris. This is actually my second day here, but I spent the first feeling very icky. I have never had a lot of issues with jet lag, but with the rain (ALL DAY) and my extreme lack of sleep, it just really caught up with me.

So I arrived yesterday and the rain began to pour the minute I stepped out of the train station. But I got to my apartment and took a shower and began to wander around my neighborhood, here in the 12th. I found myself at Ble Sucre, just in time for lunch.

Note: Ble Sucre has very inexpensive and tasty lunches. For under 10 Euros, I got a very good quiche and chocolate eclair. And I realized, once again, that being so close to a patisserie is not going to be good for my waist line.

After lunch, the rain continued to come down. I walked down to the nearest Monoprix and bought an overpriced sweater (I'm on vacation -don't judge!) and added another silk scarf to my growing collection. I picked up some cheese so I could do a bread, wine and cheese dinner.

But the rest of the afternoon was spent out of the rain, just relaxing in my apartment. And you know what? It was actually quite nice. My life is generally so hectic, that just relaxing is not something I do regularly.

I managed to stay awake until around 20:00 and then slept until 8:00 the next morning. Needless to say, I felt a great deal better. There was still some lingering rain, but by the time I headed back to Ble Sucre for a breakfast pastry (a lovely tarte tatin), it stopped. In fact, the sun is out now!

I've decided my goal for this trip is to eat a pastry for breakfast every morning. So far, so good.

I did a little bit of shopping at Le Bon Marche and bought some pretty jewelry. I wandered around that area a bit and saw a strange minotaur-like statue. Does anyone know this statue's history? It was quite interesting. And I took photos of it.

Then I came back to my apartment to eat lunch at Le Square Trousseau - I had the onglet there that I always dream about at home. And being that I have a late night planned (late dinner reservations at Verjus), I took a short nap.

Now? I think it's time for Angelina hot chocolate. It's quite chilly out and perfect for a cup. I also plan to go to the Louvre and take advantage of tonight's late opening hours. I'll end the evening with a meal at Verjus.

So far,, Paris has treated me quite well, in spite of feeling awful yesterday. And now that the sun is beaming through my windows, I can't wait to get out there again.

A bientot!

Bastille Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Mouffetard Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Cler
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,102 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

Thanks for posting, sounds like you're enjoying yourself :)

I also like the Blé Sucré pastries. At Angelina's, this summer, I had the ''Paris-New York'' -- a successful take on ''Paris-Breast" ..with pecans.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

I guess you're talkng about César's centaure rue du four.

cosmovisions.com/monuParisCarrefourCroixRoug…

(Minautore is half bull)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

That would be "Paris - Brest", Inna. The version you mention is found in rue St Denis, Pigalle or Bois de Boulogne instead :-D

(BTW, Christian Constant still has the best Paris-Brest in my book)

OP, glad to see the rapidly worsening weather did not hamper your good mood!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

Bravo on your reservations at Verjus. I will be very interested in what you thought of your meal. I totally understand the luxury of doing nothing in your Paris apartment - a treat in itself!

Enjoy!

Edited: 12 September 2012, 16:49
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

"I've decided my goal for this trip is to eat a pastry for breakfast every morning. So far, so good."

- It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it :). Just hope they won't make you stand on the scales before allowing you on the 'plane home!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,102 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

I like La Pâtisserie des Rêves ''Paris-Brest'' ..the one at Angelina's was a little similar and also very good, better than other pastries I tried there, and their hot choc I find too sweet.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

Verjus was one of my best meals of all time. Pricey, obviously - but worth every penny. I also did the wine pairing and after eight glasses of wine and entirely too much food, I'm surprised I made it back to the apartment tonight! But I would definitely recommend it. It's a nice casual laid back upscale place where the tables are close together. I ended up chatting with a couple from New York that was sitting next to me.

I also finally got to enjoy the Louvre. My first visit there was a nightmare. But this time, I went later in the day on a late opening day, and it wasn't so bad. I also went in the opposite direction of most of the tourists. I ended up studying quite a few Greek sculptures, which fascinated me (I'm very interested in Greek mythology). I also spent some time in the Richelieu wing, which was almost deserted. The Louvre has so much to offer otther than the "must-see's." I have a new appreciation for it now.

I have really enjoyed just wandering around and I did a bit of that again after my Louvre visit (I had plenty of time before my Verjus reservation).

I don't have a set plan for tomorrow either, although I may take advantage of Musee d'Orsay's late hours. I've been there before, but I was jet lagged then. Does anyone know how that restaurant there is?

Also, I have discovered the Agatha jewelry boutiques. I've bought several rings and love that jewelry line!

Finally, the line at the Louvre in front of the pyramid was massive (I saw it from a window when I was inside). Do people really not know about the Carousel du Louvre entrance? I was through security and had a ticket bought in 10 minutes!

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

Bienvenue - Yes, that's it! I always get centaur and minotaur confused. It's amazing what you'll come across just walking in the city.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

Aloha from Paris!

I am also here and staying on rue de Lyon in the 12th! Close neighbors!

I am planning on hitting Blé Sucre as well and the Beurre Sale crêperie as well!

It has been a bit rainy but we found that walking aimlessly in the rain to be a great way to explore Paris! Just have an umbrella!

Have a wonderful time - we are!

À bientôt

Malama Pono

Janet

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am in Paris (ongoing trip report)

I'll be making my third trip to Ble Sucre this morning, Janet! They are wonderful!

It seems that most of the rain seems to be out of the way now (I hope). I have been doing a lot of aimless wandering this trip myself and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I plan on roaming around the islands today.