We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
904 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping

Will probably set aside a half day for shopping. We are within walking distance to Le Bon Marche via rues Notre Dame des Champs and St. Placide. Also can walk to the smaller Galleries Lafayette in Montparnasse.

Could you explain the differences between the two above and the main Galleries Laffayette which we can easily reach via metro.

Bastille Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Mouffetard Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Cler
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Amherst...
Level Contributor
259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping

Bon Marché is relatively small, elegant, expensive. Great toy department. GL at Montparnasse is in a mall, lacks elan. The main GL is huge, 3 stores at least, also expensive but definitely more of an experience. I like GL Maison Also, Printemps is next door.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping

GL at Montparnasse is definitely not worth your while. I used to only go there because the major one didn't have the French skincare and makeup I use. Now I can get it at any pharmacy. The main one is definitely worth the trip. The ceiling is wonderful and their cafe isn't too bad either - it's licensed and the view out over the rooftops is great.

Edited: 19 September 2012, 04:17
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,365 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping

GL has a much larger selection of brands at different price points. Bon Marche is the LVMH flagship, so exclusively high end.

Singapore, null...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping

If I'm a tourist wanting to buy 1 or 2 LV handbags, do I go to Galleries Lafayette?

What brands do they sell?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,365 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping

go to the LV flagship on the Chaps Elysees

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,338 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping

If Bernard Arnault (CEO of LVMH) skips France to avoid taxes, will he take his shop with him?

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
904 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping

Would LV styles be different from those sold in the US? How would prices compare?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping

The keychain I bought my mother at LV is $275 in the US before tax. I paid E175 after tax. My credit card statement showed I paid $238 total for the keychain.

If you spend E176 or more, you can get about 12% back by getting the appropriate paperwork done at the store and then standing in the right lines at the airport.

So yes, it can be cheaper than the US, depending on the exchange rate.

I have no idea if the selection is different, as I think it's all quite ugly and boring tbh. But the Nike had the same stuff as the US, and the Chanel perfume that the saleswoman insisted was not in the US yet was indeed for sale here.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,030 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping

The LV store on the Champs is huge and has a large selection. Cannot say how it compares to the US other than that it does workout cheaper (esp with détaxe, so bring passport or a copy of passport info page to get your détaxe forms when shopping).

The Galeries Lafayette department store in Montparnasse mall (so there are other stores, several of French chains: Kookai, André, Pimkie... large [inexpensive] C&A, etc) is smaller and architecturally uninteresting if compared to flagship store on bd Haussmann, but more manageable and a good option if you're pressed for time and happen to be near. GL has both expensive and regular/average price stuff, including many international and some French brands.

Bon Marché has more open space and far less selection, it feels and is a high-end store.

10. Re: Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 00:17