We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis?

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis?

Is anyone familiar with rue Faugourg Saint-Denis? We are looking at renting an apartment there with our 11 and 13 year old children. Is the area fairly safe and what is within walking distance? Any help greatly appreciated.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
USA
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis?

There are two distint portions of rie du Faubourg Saint Denis---the lower portion running north from Blvd. de Bonne Nouvelle/Blvd. Saint Denis (Strasbourg-Saint Denis Metro) to Blvd. Magenta.(street address number running up to #114) . Then there is the upper portion, taking an odd 'jog' from Blvd. Magenta, continuing north between Gare d'Est and Gare du Nord to Blvd. de la Chapelle.

The lower portion of the street is fine. The upper portion, particularly around Gare du Nord will be somewhat less than charming---but with lovely views of the main rail yards and train lignes running north from Gare d'Est and Gare du Nord.

You can enter your apartment adress into the PHOTOS de VILLE feature of the PagesJaunes web site and take an electronic 'stroll' along the street and through the neighborhood--

PAGES JAUNES--

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?lang=en

PHOTOS de VILLE--

photos.pagesjaunes.fr/1/d/home_paris.htm

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis?

Thank you for your information. We have decided to stay in the ar9 instead. Rue de Provence, I believe.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis?

Gwendoleen, I suggest that you stay in the 5th district which would be more interesting for your children as there many sights nearby. You will also be surrounded by inexpensive restaurants and cafes. Also you can walk over to St. Germain and the Marais for other sights and places to eat. The 9th is good but frankly it's not as interesting as the 4th-6th districts in my opinion. There are certainly other districts that others prefer but those are my suggestions.

USA
Level Contributor
28,616 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis?

The same PHOTOS de VILLE site works for that as well.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis?

Gwendoleen -

I'm not sure where on rue de Provence the hotel you are considering is, but I echo the advice you have already been given. The rue de Provence is quite a distance from any of the places you are likely to want to go with your children, really only convenient to the big department stores and other shops along the Grands Boulevards.

Getting anywhere else, or even finding somewhere interesting and fun to eat in the evening will most likely involve a trip by bus, metro or taxi.

Do try to find somewhere closer to the river, preferably in the 5th arrondissement as has been suggested, or in the 6th. Even the 4th would be better I think.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis?

I am very appreciative for this input. i hope I can find an apartment in one of those areas...must get busy looking.

Merci