We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you make good French coffee at home?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
How do you make good French coffee at home?

We recently came back from a trip to France and were stunned how great the coffee is. We're Starbucks fanatics but yet at any cafe in France it seemed like we could get excellent coffee that was way better than any Starbucks I've had. What is the secret to try and imitate this at home? All coffee at home tastes awful to me now. In France it's good and strong yet not so bitter and really light and frothy. Is it just a combination of the right beans and using an expresso machine?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you make good French coffee at home?

Well, you have made the first step by stepping back and back from Starbucks - not to be entirely mocked, if what you want is confectionary with coffee as a carrier. But now you know it is not coffee. So, you are about to embark on a long process of re-educating your palate and developing appropriate skills. First get yourself a home espresso machine, then locate a reliable provider of quality beans by whom you can be led through the mysteries of beans, their sources, their roasts and blends and their grinds. Even better, ask that person to advise on what home machine to buy. You will then need to experiment - consistently, regularly, varying the beans, the grind and the way you operate the machine until you achieve what meets your new goal. You may want to work in some return visits to Paris to check your progress.

You didn't think it was going to be easy did you?

That's the theory - hopefully there is really practical advice out here for you too!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you make good French coffee at home?

www.meo.fr

;-)

You'll also learn ground café needs to be refrigerated after opening. It's also better if you drink freshly grinded beans.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 11:08
3. Re: How do you make good French coffee at home?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 September 2012, 12:35
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you make good French coffee at home?

Starbucks make the worst coffee in the world - which is perhaps why they went broke. Cap Colombie beans make a great coffee at home.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you make good French coffee at home?

erm. Starbuck's hasn't gone broke by any stretch of the imagination. They pulled out of Australia and lost a boatload of money on that venture -- but they are quite fiscally fit and in no danger of going belly-up.

(without my help, I'll add.)

Edited: 27 September 2012, 12:02
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you make good French coffee at home?

Starbucks is adequate. The good thing about them is that they are consistent and you know exactly what you are going to get when you order it. There are a lot of things on their coffee menu I would never consider ordering, but there are some things I really enjoy - like a double short latte.

I just got a Nespresso machine, after really loving the one in my London hotel. We've been having cafe au lait in the morning and it's really nice.

The french press also makes excellent coffee, but it's a pain to get the coffee grounds out and wash out when you are in a rush in the morning.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 12:12
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,130 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you make good French coffee at home?

Do not refrigerate coffee beans even after opening the package, refrigeration causes the beans to leech oils and ages it. Just keep it in a sealed container, it will be fine. specialty-coffee-advisor.com/coffee-storage.… Either buy a good automatic machine or a decent grinder and manual machine. They start at under $100 for a pretty basic one. Only grind as much as you can use that day .... if you need any more advice just ask any Australian.

Maine
Level Contributor
718 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you make good French coffee at home?

Hi Kerouac, what coffee do you use in the coffee maker? Is it a brand I can buy here- I use a press and I like it but it never tastes as good as coffee in France. And my husband uses instant coffee!, so I don't experiment too much, i just make Folger's as strong as possible. thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do you make good French coffee at home?

the difficulty, lvfr8, is that none of the brands commonly found in France are available in the US...with the possible exception of Illy.

Nescafe operates on both continents, but their coffees are completely different in Europe than in the US.

I would suggest starting with a French roast and going from there...

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do you make good French coffee at home?

I have a Keurig at home, so I honestly was craving my home coffee over the French coffee while I was there. Personally, I didn't find the French coffee all that spectacular! LOL