We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Stay Temporary Visa - France

Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Long Stay Temporary Visa - France

Hi,

I am fairly certain I have got the right idea but I would love for someone who has been through this to confirm it.

I have a visa to stay in France for 5 months. This means that because my stay is not exceeding 6 months I have been given a "long sejour temporaire". It is type D with multiple entries to France allowed.

When applying for my visa the OFII form "Demande d'attestation" was not required and was not provided with my visa.

I originally thought I had to complete the OFII form and submit it to the French authorities but after wondering why the OFII form was never required for my visa (hence not stamped by my consulate) I had a read and it seems as thought for a visa less than 6 months you are not required to register with OFII.

It's just really hard to find that written anywhere "official" online other than on the French consulate for Vancover's site. I am Australian and I have looked everyone where on the Australian site but can't find anything about temporary visas!

I would appreciate any advice =]

T

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Wine Therapy
££ - £££, French, Wine Bar
Marche Ou Crepe
£, French, Bar, Cafe
ASPIC
££££, French, European, Contemporary
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,743 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Stay Temporary Visa - France

My advice is to contact the French Consulate. Only they can give you information that is authoritative, timely, and specific to your personal situation.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Stay Temporary Visa - France

I've dealt with OFII on several different occasions, but never on a temporary Visa. Really Sarastro is correct, you should contact the Consulate that issued your Visa, They should have given you contact details (not given to folks without issued Visas) so reaching then should not be too tough and would be the best choice.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Stay Temporary Visa - France

< When applying for my visa the OFII form "Demande d'attestation" was not required and was not provided with my visa ... I originally thought I had to complete the OFII form and submit it to the French authorities but after wondering why the OFII form was never required for my visa (hence not stamped by my consulate) I had a read and it seems as thought for a visa less than 6 months you are not required to register with OFII >

I don't know anything about this, but a quick search seems to show that the "demande d'attestation" is in 2 parts - one which you submit with your visa application, and one which you complete and send in after you arrive in France.

A note on a sample of the French long-stay visa application form that I have found online says:

"If you are a student, you may not have to send the form called 'Demande d'attestation OFII' ... if preliminary arrangements have been made at the beginning of classes, or if you are enrolled in a school which has a partnership with the Préfecture and the OFII, within the framework of a group application."

Perhaps that is your situation.

In any case, you will only get a definite answer to your question by asking the Consulate that issued your visa, as already recommended by previous posters.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Stay Temporary Visa - France

Yeah that is probably the best idea because I think visa rules have change relatively recently so even people who have had visas in the past may have had different requirements. Thanks guys

Rennes, France
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Stay Temporary Visa - France

Hello there! I am in the exact situation right now and have been searching everywhere online. I ran into your thread and I was just wondering what ever happened. Did you end up having to register with the OFII? I'm in France for only 4 months and I don't know if I do have to register with them. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Stay Temporary Visa - France

It's a year old post. Maybe you should send OP personal message.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Stay Temporary Visa - France

No idea about short stay visa requirements - contact a French consulate/embassy, don't put any faith in anything anyone says on here (including me) when it comes to visas, it's not worth it at all.

The OFII attestation is in 2 parts, if getting some sort of long term visa, then you get a form back with your passport (and 3 month initial visa), which you need to have stamped on arrival in France. Then you send that stamped form off as soon as you arrive, and eventually, after some indeterminate (but usually very long) amount of time, a "recepisse" is issued, and after another indeterminate amount of time, a "carte de sejour" is issued. A medical is usually required, and depending on how you've obtained authorisation for a long stay (sponsored by employer, study, running from the law in your own country, etc) , you may, or may not have to do the "how to live in France" induction, and French language test.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Stay Temporary Visa - France

Hi!

Sorry it took me so long to reply I have been super busy lately.

In the end I didn't need to register with the OFII as I was in France for under 6 months and I imagine your situation would be similar. I sent the form in anyway (just in case hehe) but never heard anything in response! Now I am not 100% sure that you are in exactly the same situation but my understanding was that under 6 months they don't need you to do anything :)

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
9. Re: Long Stay Temporary Visa - France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 06:19