We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Notre Dame

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
864 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Notre Dame

We're going to head out early from our hotel near the base of Luxembourg Park. Not sure if we will walk or take the metro to the Cite station. Depends a little on weather.

If we walked which street/ bridge is most direct to Notre Dame?

If we took the metro are the signs pretty clear to direct us once we exit the metro?

Thanks for all the great advice

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,957 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Notre Dame

I'd walk if weather is nice, its all downhill, take metro home! As you walk down Boulevard St Michel when you arrive at foot of street by Siene you will see Notre Dame. You can hang a left on Quai St Michel walk a block and cross over the Petit Pont, or just cross at St Michel , hang a left on island, about a block down, its pretty easy to figure out once you see it.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Notre Dame

You should be quite near Blvd St Micael which would be a direct walk down to the Seine and across thebridge to Ile de cite. Notre Dame would be a little way going right . You can also turn right when you get to the river and cross at the next bridge (,petite rue de la cite) They are quite close. Walking shouldn't be more than a 10-12 minute walk. Your hotel can probably direct you to Blvd St Michel. you don't say what street you are on: Is it rue Vaugirard or rue de Medicis? Those alsoconnect with blvd St Michel. If you are on Auguste Compte, that feeds into St Michel also.

You are only one or two metro stops from the Seine; walking would most likely be just as quick.

jhg

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Notre Dame

You could also look at a map!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Notre Dame

It's within walking distance for me. Is it for you ? It also depends on where exactly your hôtel is. Le jardin du Luxembourg isn't central park nor hide park but it still makes a différence if you're rue guynemer ie.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Notre Dame

If the weather cooperates, walk right through the Luxembourg Gardens to the boulevard Saint Michel (which runs along the east side of the gardens), then follow that boulevard north to the river, at which point you'll be able to see Notre-Dame on the right (east), and you can easily walk directly to it. From the most distant corner of the Luxembourg Gardens, it takes about half an hour to walk to Notre-Dame.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Notre Dame

How long would the walk be from the Arc de Triumphe, near where our hotel is, or would you recommend the metro?

JDP

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,957 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Notre Dame

Sorry kept saying left, meant right, slighty directionally dyslexic, lol

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,957 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Notre Dame

JD a bit of a longer walk, but on nice day would be a nice walk, downhill down Champs too ( up hill on way back). You would take about an hour I guess, ( guesstimate). You would go straight down Champs, through Place Concorde , through or beside the Tuilleries Gardens, past Louvre along Siene , across Pont Neuf, down a bit, hmm,, maybe one hour and 15 minutes if you stop and look at stuff along the way( which I totally recommend)

I really enjoy walking in Paris and often find myself walking long distances, then at end of day taking metro back to hotel. I would have to rethink that if weather was very cold or rainy though.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Notre Dame

@JDP: on an even day ?

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
864 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Notre Dame

I did look at a map.......our hotel Is near rue vavin.....I could walk through the park....or I could walk along auguste compte to st Michel....or I could walk up guynemer to Bonaparte.....just wanted the most direct which is not always easy to determine on a map....thanks