We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What did you buy at Monoprix?

new york
Level Contributor
953 posts
1,129 reviews
Save Topic
What did you buy at Monoprix?

I am psyched to go to Paris and to return to Monoprix. Last time I bought salad servers and a nightgown. I hope to do better! What did you buy? What do you recommend?

I've heard that fleur de sel (salt), face cream, lipstick, etc. are good.

Do be as specific as you can be. And thanks !!!

124 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

I bought some groceries, emphasizing cheap stuff rather than healthy stuff.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

One year my luggage was lost for several days so I bought everything there.Last year I bought some cute outfits for my baby grand daughter.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,900 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

Roll-on, unscented, quick-dry deodorant/antiperspirant that leaves no white traces -- Bourjois "Déodorant anti-traces Blanches". Not available where I live, and although Bourjois cosmetics are, they are cheaper in France, so I buy their crayon eyeliner (at Monoprix or Sephora, actually) that's good quality IMO, and my daughter gets the liquid eyeliner. She also chose a Hello Kitty lipstick (real, not for kiddies :)).

Last year, I bought 3 mini bottles of Miss Helen (store brand) nail polish that I still use (one I liked so much I returned and bought a second, on next day). Also check Miss Helen lingerie...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

Chocolate. I go through the shelves and select items I know we don't have here.

We are currently eating a block of Lindt chocolate with wasabi. It's really good.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

Chocolate! I like the bars with whole hazelnuts. Cote d'Or works for me.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

When I was there last year I would often buy milk at night, which was quite cheap at 1.2 euros or something like that, for a liter. If for dinner I selected a “formule” in a restaurant that only included entrée and main course but no dessert, I would buy a pastry as well. Packaged sandwiches just like they sell in supermarkets here that you could bring to a park to eat, stopping along the way at a McDonald’s for a take-out espresso to go with it. Paris on the cheap.

I noticed last year that they sell hardcover copies of the “Paris Pratique par Arrondissement,” the best detailed map of the city there is that is easy to tote. I will probably buy a copy first thing when I go back next month to replace my much-used paperback copy for which I paid too much at Amazon.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

Bourjois cosmetics, especially the eye shadows. I also like the lip gloss.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I haven't shopped at Monoprix since the Carrefour went in next door to the flat that we rent - but I'm happy to hear that so many others are "Bourjois" cosmetics fans - I found it on my first trip to Paris and every year I stock up on liquid foundation, blush, lipstick, etc, etc.

I get most of mine at BHV - but I also purchased some at the Monop-Beaute (spelling?) in Montmartre - that place is like a candy store to me! My husband just tells me not to go too crazy and leaves me there for 1/2 hour or so! Hopefully I've stocked up enough for the upcoming year!

So I guess I did go to a Monoprix - albeit the "beauty" centric one!

Malama Pono (take care)

Jaent

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

Agreed on the chocolate bar with hazelnuts. I bought Monoprix and Cote D'Or. The Cote D'Or was better but the Monoprix brand one was good.

Bourjouis eyeliner pencils

Maille mustard in the commemorative glass (the Maille mustard available in the US is not made in France)

Gallettes San Michel - my French friends in NYC crack up that I schlep these things home, but Ive been eating them since my first trip to France when I was 15.

Forgot the brand - jarred Bearnais sauce - I bring this back from every trip and still cant remember the brand, but there is usually only 1 option and this is it.

This was only a 3 night carryon bag trip after Malta, so I didnt do as much shopping, but usually I also bring back nut oils, green lentils de puy.

Go to G. Detou in Les Halles! They have a lot of very well priced chocolates, foie and other canned charcuterie, dirt cheap vanilla pods, all sorts of mustards, sugars and salts. This trip, I brought back Blue (!!!) Sel de Perse.

suitcaseready.com

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

An American Vintage cashmere sweater, a silk camisole, white jeans for the winter (inès says...), a gorge little dress for my 7 year old niece to wear to my cousin's wedding. scarves to bring to the US as gifts.

Reply to: What did you buy at Monoprix?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted