We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What did you buy at Monoprix?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
910 posts
1,097 reviews
Save Topic
What did you buy at Monoprix?

I am psyched to go to Paris and to return to Monoprix. Last time I bought salad servers and a nightgown. I hope to do better! What did you buy? What do you recommend?

I've heard that fleur de sel (salt), face cream, lipstick, etc. are good.

Do be as specific as you can be. And thanks !!!

113 replies to this topic
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

True about the bread, but "Chinese-made" nowadays does not mean much in terms of quality because the spectre is too wide -- from cheap tat to fine quality goods. Products at Monoprix are usually OK and sometimes one can find something really nice, if one knows what to look for, knows a bit about fashion and so on.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

Metromole, it's *different* mediocre stuff, that we've probably never seen before. And it's a lower price point, so there isn't such a commitment if you want to try something out or shop for cheap stuff.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

MM, I know lots of foreign visitors that are just as obsessed with Target or Trader Joe's, etc. when they visit the US. It's mediocre and blase for you because you live there but for others it's a chance to sample items they would not be able to get at home and may not come across elsewhere.

I happen to really like the Bourjois make-up and on my last visit found a great hold-all type bag that I've been using at the beach and have gotten tons of compliments on it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
355 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

Groceries. In the Garches Monop. Went to C/E Monoprix and the prices have escalated. Kinda disappointed at that one..used to be great, but now "meh" at best.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,254 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

My friends have been home from Paris for months now (they spent a month there) and are still waxing poetic about "their" Monoprix on the Rue du Faubourg St. Antoine at Ledru Rollin in the 11th.

Naples
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

I haven't bought anything yet but my list -- based on these posts -- is rapidly growing. By this time next month, my list may weigh more than my luggage.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand of that mouth-watering salted/butter/caramel sauce? I bought some a few years ago in a glass jar and nearly cried with joy every time I dipped into it. My attempts at duplicating it at home were a dismal failure so I'm eager to buy some more this trip. (Sorry David Lebovitz ~ I really did try but it lost something in translation!)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
355 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

I forgot to add. Rather than looking for bargains at Monoprix...try City Pharma on Rue du Four. WOW!! Each time I go to Paris, I need to make a stop there for great, great prices on toiletries/beauty/sun products. Far better than Monop prices! Prepare to wait on line b/c it is always crowded!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

Maddie, that was "my" Monoprix in May and where I got that great beach bag I mentioned below. It's a great store. The only thing I didn't like was the produce but no big deal since Marche d'Aligre is just a few blocks away.

CityPharma is great but crowded is not the word! I ended up going at 8:30am when they opened a couple of weeks ago because every other time I walked by, it was jampacked.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 02:26
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

It depends on your definition of mediocre, metromole. Monoprix' infant and children's clothing is brilliantly designed and well constructed of quite decent materials. Some IS made in China but the same can be said of many much more expensive specialty and department stores. I have carefully shopped this market from top to bottom and find that Monoprix is doing a fantastic job of offering great eye-appeal AND quality for the money. I wouldn't consider paying Bonpoint prices for clothes that will be worn for perhaps 3 months but at 1/4 to 1/3 that price, I willingly buy the knock-off at Monoprix.

And, yes, this is the exact reason that Target and M&S are so successful.

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: What did you buy at Monoprix?

Pick up bars! We had them when cycling in Provence and bought a bunch to take home. They are like a cookie bar, almost like a s'more, but they don't melt so they are great to take cycling.

Reply to: What did you buy at Monoprix?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted