We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

So, I will try to make this brief but just desperate to get my words down.

Flight was amazing, took off early and landed 30 minutes ahead if schedule...great start!

RER into Paris, great sign posting from the airport to the train station. Only gripe is that there are no ticket machines that accept notes. How crazy when you have only just arrived in to the country. Yes, there is a ticket office but the queue the size it was we ended up purchasing the tickets on our credit cards and will have to incur a fee...disappointing. Lovely easy journey, even had a nice old man playing his accordion!

Got caught in torrential rain looking for our hotel but found it eventually. Went to check in only to be told they did not have a reservation in my name despite the confirmation that I had in front of me. Can't even begin to describe my fear but luckily a lovely young girl was able to help the lady on reception find our booking and all got sorted after 10 minutes. Really lovely staff so far and really pleased with our small but perfectly formed room at Hotel Grand Dore.

Off to Arc de Triomphe. went up inside. AMAZING views. really recommend, reasonable waiting time of approx 15 minutes.

Walk down Champs Elysees for half an hour found a lovely shops selling all bath items very reasonably priced and watched some good street dancers.

Over to E Tower to get the bateaux Seine cruise. This was a disaster. We had pre-booked our tickets through ATD only to find out that this did not benefit us at all. This was supposed to let us jump the ticket queue and simply join the queue for the next boat. No. We had to join the ticket queue anyway and exchange our print out for actual tickets. This meant missing the boat we planned to get and having to queue for over an hour. Spent the majority of this time planning where to try to sit on the boat to get the best pictures as not many of the windows were open and luckily timed it to perfection and got our perfect seat. Only to be told by the grumpy old bloke in front of me that he wants the window shut. To which I replied...go and sit somewhere else which he so easily could of. Many other seats, no other windows. He then complained and a lovely young lad had no choice but to close the window but so sympathetic to us that he gave us 2 free tickets to go back tomoro. Great, but there is no way that we will have time. Therefore, wasted 2 hours and have no pictures to show for it. Grumpy!

Next E Tower, timed it perfectly, 21:45, hardly any queue, can't wait. into the queue we go, board flashing with all the prices. EXCITED. Get to the front of the queue only to be told that the top closed 5 minutes ago despite the website saying the last lift is 23:00 as it closes at 23:45. More wasted time when the schedule is really tight.

So back to the hotel, lovely lovely hotel with memory foam matress and desperate to spill to everyone on TA.

Here's to a more successful day tomoro.....

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

Bummer, but my best advice is go with the flow. You are in Paris! Better than being home and at work, lol. Don't sweat the small stuff and have a really wonderful trip.

Jo

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

exactly what my other half says. I just get frustrated cuz it's only ashort trip and want to make the most of every minute

x

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

There is a machine to change notes to coins.

No point in getting tics in advance for the 1-hour Seine cruise, unless it's for the Vedettes du Pont-Neuf that offer a good on-line discount. It is best to get there a half hour in advance anyway, to get good seats. Pics from boats, that people often take, are rarely that good ..try not to get too distracted from beautiful Paris because of little setbacks and the picture taking.

4. Re: My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2012, 19:58
los angeles
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

Try not to pressure yourself too much. It's a short first trip. Introduce yourself to the city and kind of allow yourself to fall in love with it. You'll be back. On each successive trip, you can do more and more.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

I always try to keep in mind that the trip that i actually have will not be exactly like the trip I had planned, and then it is easier to accept the inevitable missteps. On the other hand, some of the unexpected events will be wonderful, and that's what makes travel fun.

Hope tomorrow is wonderful for you.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

I hope you'll continue to post about your trip. It reminds me of my trip with DD to Italy last spring where I got bucked off a horse AND sprained my ankle (not from being bucked off) on the first day. I managed to ride the 2nd day but then had to send DD out alone. However, there's something pretty cool about lounging on your patio in Italy looking at the mountains while you read a book and elevate your ankle. It limited what we did in Naples at the end of the trip, but it was more than we would have done if we had stayed home.

On the bright side, it's (relatively) easy to get back again sometime to see anything you miss this time.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

Dodging the rain has been one of the more complicated things to do recently; apparently it only got you when you were going to the hotel, so that's good.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

Kitty. Champs el was very crowded but expected. every where else so far has been just fine. Hasn't been too frustrating at all. Have a lovely holiday next wk. X

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My first day in Paris...Not gone to plan

Turn it round the other way -- if this is the worst thing that happens during your holidays, you'll have had a good one.