We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cafe seating and prices

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cafe seating and prices

I remember hearing years ago that you get charged more for cafe treats if you're sitting close to the curb at a cafe. Is that the case? Thanks.

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cafe seating and prices

Sitting outside costs more than inside at a table. Sitting inside at a table is more than at the bar.

But the difference in price is not huge.

Les

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cafe seating and prices

Thank you, Les. If the weather is good in 2 weeks, we'll just sit have to sit outside then.

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cafe seating and prices

ABSOLUTELY sit outside. It's worth every extra cent.

Plus, you can stay as long as you like....

Les

adelaide
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cafe seating and prices

regarding costs at cafes.

i realise that the previous posts were old now, but we had an experience today when we were changed €14 for 2 cappuccinos sitting inside.

in australian dollars about $25-3o!! oh la la!

we chose to sit inside to be away from the smokers who seem to sit outside. this is very off putting for non smokers.

it was during the morning.

the waiter was quite rude in that having put the bill on the table, then come by shortly after and tapped the bill, presumably as a reminder?

not met this behavior anywhere else in the world.

we will not go back.

had dinner in a nice cafe this evening no smokers in or out and no rude behavior.

regards

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cafe seating and prices

1. Just because you're sitting inside does not mean that your drinks will be bargain priced, only that they will cost less that on the terrace.

2. The address on the café is another important element. Drinks at cafés along the Champs Elysées cost significantly more than the same drink at a café 100 feet off to the side.

3. Prices for each drink are clearly posted in front of each establishment. There is never any reason to be surprised about what your order will cost.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cafe seating and prices

in our experience there are two prices: standing up and sitting down -- and these are clearly posted

in tourist areas waiters will try to hustle you to a table if you stop to pick up a sandwich to do -- if you do, the price doubles (the difference is generally not minor)

there may be places where sitting outside and inside are different in price -- at touristy spots -- but most bars it is sitting down inside or out or standing up

only sit down if you want to rent the table -- it is lovely to sit and while away time in your journal and watchiing the world go by and the price is worth it -- for a quick coffee and/or pastry- stand at the bar

for cokes etc, buy them at small stores -- most greengrocers or small grocery stores have them for a lot less of course than table service

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cafe seating and prices

I would have no problem with a waiter tapping the bill.

In fact, it's better when a waiter comes back to collect.

To my observation, for some reason (and this goes for restaurants as well), collecting for the bill is very last on a waiter's priority list. They do everything else first, even as new people are seated take orders, before collecting money. Then, if they don't have change - that can take seemingly forever.

We stopped by Brasserie de l'Isle St-Louis one day and were having coffee on the terrace. The waiter came over and explained to me, in French, that he would appreciate our taking care of our bill as there was about to be a shift change. It took me a minute to understand what he was saying, but by the time he finished talking I knew what he wanted.

When he came back with our change, he moved to the next table with the same explanation for that couple. The man gave him a nasty look, covered his cup with both hands, and yelled "NO, NO, I do NOT want another coffee." The waiter went on to the next table, then the next. About five minutes later, that same man stood up and yelled "HEY, What does it take to get the bill around here?"

The waiter could not have been more gracious. He went over, lifted the man's cup and saucer to reveal the bill under the saucer - without so much as a roll of the eyes.

And, I've seen people, after the waiter has carefully arranged all the tables and chairs, select a spot, rearrange the tables and chairs all around, then get up and leave if the waiter doesn't get there fast enough, whereupon the waiter resets the tables and chairs again - over and over again!

I would have given the waiter the benefit of the doubt, rather than consider him rude. In some cafes, the same waiters work open to close - a very long day. And, they deal with all sorts of people and languages all day long.

Could have been your waiter needed a bathroom break and didn't want you to have to wait for him to pay.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
749 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cafe seating and prices

We've experienced both the check that comes out with the food and waiting forever for it to show up. We finally learned that if we're ready to leave and there's no sign of the waiter, we can just go up to the counter, request our check and pay there.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,330 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cafe seating and prices

It is rude for the waiter to tap the bill. They do it, but only when they are feeling particularly condescending.

If the waiter needs to be paid immediately because of a shift change, as happens quite often, the polite thing to do is to explain this to the customer.

Sometimes the waiter would like to be paid immediately because it is a major tourist area and he has been ripped off many times by tourists who leave forgetting to pay. In that case he should just ask to be paid. VERBALLY.

The general rule of thumb is that in a restaurant the bill is brought after the meal, and only at the request of the diner. At a cafe it is brought with the meal, but only paid as the diner is ready to leave.

Bistrots are a grey area and may do it one way for the lunch crowd and differently for the dinner crowd at the same venue.

As for outside and inside cafe prices. An overwhelming majority of the local cafes charge the same price for indoor and outdoor SEATING. Cafes that add a premium for outside seating are exceptionally rare.

ALL cafes have a separate rate for being served at the bar or seated at the table. A simple cafe can be 50% cheaper at the bar.

adelaide
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cafe seating and prices

thanks for those replies.

we still think the waiter was rude and the price for 2 ordinary cappuccinos very high.

we have since been told by a parisian that smoking was banned 2 years ago in resturants and where food is served.

we do not like smoking and sort to drink inside away from the smokers.

we now avoid such places. difficult because the patrons sit in the doorways/terraces so have to be passed if you enter.

we have found a lovely clean non smoking cafe/resturant, which is a breath of fresh air.

good food and the cappuccinos are not €14.

the owner is a delight and very hospitable.

i suppose a lot depends on how you feel about smoking.

we dislike it on health and aesthetic grounds.

regards