We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What tourist attraction or advice should we ignore and why?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
47 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
What tourist attraction or advice should we ignore and why?

My wife and I live in Scotland and have booked 4 weeks in Paris in May/June 2013 for a two apartment holiday to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary. First 2 weeks in Rue Pierre et Marie Curie in Latin Quarter and Second 2 weeks in Ave.de Rue Suffren looking out at the Eiffel Tower. Tourist guide books and websites (like TA) are full of advice of what to do and where to visit.

What tourist attraction or piece of advice do you wish you had ignored during your visit to Paris and why was that? Your ‘tips’ will help us (and others) enjoy our holiday in that beautiful city a little more.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What tourist attraction or advice should we ignore and why?

If I could afford four weeks in Paris I would see as many sights as possible even if they sounded average in a guide book (but my idea of a vacation is to explore vs. resting on a beach or in a coffee shop). On many vacations, attractions that sounded awesome were in fact boring and sights that sounded OK were in fact really interesting and fun - you never know. Have fun, sounds like a fantastic vacation.

PS - I just got back from your beautiful city in Scotland and loved it!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: What tourist attraction or advice should we ignore and why?

Keep also in mind that, over the course of four weeks, you may be inclined to visit a same place twice due to rotating exhibitions (or even because of the sheer magnitude of the place, such as the Louvre, which is best enjoyed over several sessions IMO).

Indiana
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: What tourist attraction or advice should we ignore and why?

Don't pass up all attractions with a line. There's often a reason they're so popular! Do some research and read everything you can to minimize the time you spend waiting. Some days are less crowded than others.

Don't be afraid to try new things and places. With four weeks, you have the luxury of walking around and deciding on the spot if you want to try something.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What tourist attraction or advice should we ignore and why?

To my way of thinking, Paris does not have any true 'tourist traps' like, for example, various "dungeons attractions" or the like. It really is all about what appeals to you more than a need to avoid non-legitimate sites...

25. Re: What tourist attraction or advice should we ignore and why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2013, 10:16