We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

Hi - Doing early travel planning for 2013. I would be really interested in taking a tour of either outdoor markets or various food shops. I have been to Paris a number of times already, but I have always been the obsessive compulsive trip planner and the unofficial "tour guide" for the family when we are on our trips. For once, I would like to be led around and just enjoy instead of having to be the one leading. My question is, all the market tours I have found are $$$ ! It seems to be because they involve going back to a kitchen afterward and cooking and eating your purchases. I don't want to do that; I just want a guided visit to a market/food shops for about 15 euros max. I have searched and Googled, but maybe I'm not using the best search words? I'm flummoxed. Does such a tour exist?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Sweden
Level Contributor
189 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

This might be something for you. I am contemplating getting in touch with them before my trip in February.

…franceguide.com/what-to-do/…

www.parisiendunjour.fr/index.php?lang=en

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

You certainly don't need a tour guide for any of the outdoor markets. You just stroll through.

For food shops, just get a copy of Clothilde's Edible Adventures in Paris and choose places near where you're staying or those most appealing to you.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

Enthusiastically ditto djkbooks on this. Highly recommed the Richard Lenoir and Ave. President Wilson markets.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Richard
Hotel Richard
315 Reviews
Paris, France
Le Wilson
Le Wilson
949 Reviews
Paris, France
new york
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
1,152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

I cannot agree more I just went to both these markets this past weekend

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
17,296 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

on this web site you can find all the markets (marches)

at the top click on the icon that looks like a basket (the last one) then select marchés which will give you locations of all the markets

http://plan.paris.fr/

on Sunday there is an organic market called Marché Bio on Boulevard Raspail metro stop is Rennes.

on Wed and Sat there is a food market at Place Baudoyer behind Hotel de Ville. It has a stall that sells a really good curried roasted chicken and small potatoes that makes for a great lunch.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel de Ville
Hotel de Ville
1,320 Reviews
Paris, France
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,197 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

I'll add my favorite, the Saxe-Breteuil market...

www.parismarkets.net/Saxe-Breteuil.html

Open on Saturdays and Thursdays with fresh and prepared foods, the Lebonese crepe makers, wine sellers, some clothing stalls, and a great olive and nut seller at the upper end.

There's plenty of choices to make a nice picnic on the Champs de Mars.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Saxe-Breteuil Market
Saxe-Breteuil Market
33 Reviews
Paris, France
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

ParisWalks offers a Taste of Paris walking tour once per month for 27€.

www.paris-walks.com/chocolate-walk_m.html

I haven't taken the Taste of Paris tour, but we took the Chocolate Tour and loved it.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

The covered markets can be interesting too, such at the Marché Saint Quentin near Gare du Nord.

Mentioned in this post
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,140 Reviews
Paris, France
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,327 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

Richard Lenoir is my favorite, but I was at Pere Lachaise on a Tuesday (the day I flew home) and wanted to hit one last market - that one goes on forever into Belleville and maybe Barbes (I had to leave at some point to make my flight)

You definitely dont need a tour. A few years ago a woman named Wendy Lynn (a former friend of my expat friends) was pushing me on taking a tour - she got offended when I told her I lived and shopped twice daily in Biarritz with real live French people when I was 15. The idea of her market tour in Paris for $250 for a few hours was pretty comical. But, you can probably find her. There's another woman called Zabie who offers market tours. If you're really interested PM me and I can connect the two of you. She's actually French, but also American so speaks excellent, unaccented English

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 18 October 2012, 22:25
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Richard
Hotel Richard
315 Reviews
Paris, France
Biarritz
Biarritz
Basque Country, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive Market Tours (No Cooking)

Appreciate these great links. We love going to markets on our own, but i always have this feeling that I am missing out on something great, like a particular shop or type of local food, and thought that taking a guided tour might help. But, we can't afford to pay $250 pp, that is a few weeks worth of groceries for us! Happily, I have plenty of time to plan and explore these links, so thank you all again.