We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

metro in paris once more

new york
Level Contributor
910 posts
1,097 reviews
Save Topic
metro in paris once more

I read some great advice here--know the stop you want and know the end point of the line which it is one. Take the train in the diretion of that last stop-which will be named.

Also in the Metro there are signs saying how soon the next train will appear - never did I have a wait of over 6 mintues and the time that actually elapsed was less than the stated time

Now there are three ways the doors open once you are inside -turn the handle (I find this impossible and like to stand behind someone ele getting off), push a button or do nothing. Can someone help - are there also three ways to access a door when entering...?

Just an fyi--I have lived in NYC oh 35 yrs and yesterday I was taking a subway with which I was fiarly familiar--and it was more difficult than taking the Metro in Paris last week with which I am far less familiar.

Also for the most part the stations are less deep than the NY or washington ones and they have service for email--we don't have that yet.

Distances between two stops often are short and often there are several stop sor several lines that work just as well.

A good map I've named my faves all over this forum helps. Also a quesiton to a concierge if you're staying in a hotel about distance or makign a drawing on the map helps too.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: metro in paris once more

Yes the doors open the same way from the outside (on the platform) as on the inside (on the train). Latch, button or on the automated lines nothing to do. I agree the latch types can be a little hard sometimes, definitely not arthritis-friendly nor friendly on short people's shoulders (I also go for the doors where someone else is getting off before me to avoid having to open them myself) but most of the time they open effortlessly, as long as you wait for the conductor to allow their opening. They won't open if the train is still moving.

2. Re: metro in paris once more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 10:17