We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Paris--relative bargains

new york
Level Contributor
954 posts
1,129 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Paris--relative bargains

Ok I'm going to say something controversial. I think there is plenty available in Paris at better prices than other capital cities. I have had to pay way more in Amsterdam, Rome, Madrid, etc. Not to mention NYC or Washington DC. Another happy shock is when I stay in US hotels sometimes the taxes added on at the end (hotel stayers don't vote so easy to sock them) are staggering such as $20 a night. in Paris the whammo at the end was more like $2 a night. Are there great $99-109 hotels no. So if you are comparing Paris to remote rural Courtyards by Marriott-- which can be $79-not a great comparison and believe me in the US I love to pay $99-129 a night myself even in cities!!! Both my college roommate and I separately have found nice rooms in nice places in the Marais for $200/night. Just know the rooms and the elevators are small and staffing is low--so don't expect bellmen to be porting bags--frankly, I found that a relief. That's part of the idea of travel-things aren't supposed to be the same in every country--and frankly the move towards sameness is a disappointment to me......except in the area of toilets--my first trips to Paris through 1987 I did find Turkish toilets to my surprise--not in 2012 or 2009 . In fact as long as I'm on WC, do see the high end futristic Toto Japanese one in the Colette store basement. And you can find, but not universally, the high speed high fast hand dryers in many locations.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Paris--relative bargains

Yes if I remember well Paris ranks well for the number of budget hotels and cheap rooms compared to other major cities. These are just not the hotel categories favored by long distance travellers, but French and many European tourists certainly take advantage of them.

The tourist tax is 20 cents to 1.50 euro a night and per person depending on the hotel category and all other taxes are always included in the price (as in restaurants and stores) so no surprise there. http://i46.tinypic.com/wjetma.png

Edited: 21 October 2012, 11:43
new york
Level Contributor
954 posts
1,129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Paris--relative bargains

Right it might have to do with supply - it feels like there is a large number of less-than-huge hotels which might create healthy price competition.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in Paris--relative bargains

That is correct. Unfortunately it is disappearing little by little. I have noticed many hotels that were very cheap even 10 years ago that got all revamped and added services in the room and are now expensive.

While I agree hotels in France needed improving in terms of bedding and it is now the norm to have a private bathroom (when shared was common in the 70's and 80's), the choice of clean, comfortable but basic hotels is decreasing. Not everyone needs an imac computer in their room nor 20 feet of space to move around the bed, some of us just want a clean, decent bed with a working sink, shower and toilet in a nice and safe neighborhood. And this is getting more difficult to find.

new york
Level Contributor
954 posts
1,129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in Paris--relative bargains

Ah the real reason why Paris is "expensive" is that the second I return, I start planning my next visit...so one trip leads to another...and it is impossible to do everything in the typical stay of up to a week--I think there is a 10 day to 2 week stay in my future. At least I hope there is. And when I read of someone who has allocated but 1-3 days in Paris I say to myself "not enough."

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
930 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in Paris--relative bargains

Good point nycmom!

But yes compared to NYC....there are far more affordable hotels in Paris.

Partially because there are so many smaller places in so many hoods that are attractive to tourists/visitors. I've stayed all over Paris ..mostly for under $200 USA. or

considerably less!

And as you point out the many repeat travellers who don't require the services of a "full service", absolutely "central" hotel!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in Paris--relative bargains

Shopping Rome hotels now and definitely feel the prices are higher there for hotels with mostly good reviews, of course looking primarily for popular locations (the opposite of what I do in Paris, lol) and with certain amenities that appeal when traveling as a group, some of whom are first-timers...

Edited: 21 October 2012, 14:50
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in Paris--relative bargains

Indeed 3 days in Paris is not enough...I had 2 1/2 and never before did I feel so "incomplete" returning home. My husband felt the same. So that really adds to the price of the trip because one week later I had our flights booked to return!

I find it hard to compromise on hotels, so it's my fault if I don't get something cheaper. There are plenty of good options away from the centre. But, I like central locations and I like clean; and just to be a big pain, flowery wallpaper disturbs me.

I must add that the evaluation of how expensive a country is also depends very much of where you come from. Therefore, for me, Paris will always be expensive but it's worth every cent. (Last December I stayed on a 4 star hotel in Lisbon for 47€ night. Then stayed for 62€ at another 4 star the night before flying to Paris).

8. Re: Hotels in Paris--relative bargains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 10:17