We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The drive from Paris to Strasbourg and back

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Georgia
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
The drive from Paris to Strasbourg and back

We just cancelled our TGV tickets and decided to make the drive. Based on the timing, it seems that we could beat the train to Strasbourg if we didn't wait the 4 hours at the train station for the train to depart. We will won't have alot of time either going or coming back to Paris, but we wanted to make a couple of stops just to rest but wanted to make the most of the stop. Are there any towns/ villages that one would recommend, preferably not too far off the A4 though we don't mind a small detour if its worth it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The drive from Paris to Strasbourg and back

Bad call -- getting into a strange car on unfamiliar highways with unfamiliar signage when you are tired and jetlagged means you are driving while impaired, and it makes you a viable risk to yourself and others.

And it's FIVE hours from CDG to Strasbourg -- IF you don't stop to pee or get held up by construction, traffic, or weather -- all of which are definite possibilities.

Additionally, with the train you have the luxury of letting someone else do the driving, having a picnic with a glass of Champagne to celebrate your arrival in France, walking around, going to the bathroom without losing a second of travel time, and having a nap -- all of which are dangerous and/or illegal in a car.

I'd rebook those tickets.

Edited: 25 October 2012, 19:19
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The drive from Paris to Strasbourg and back

(and don't forget the fact that it will take you an hour to get through immigration, baggage claim, and customs, and close to another hour to get your car, get your bearings, and get on the road. That train will have arrived in Strasbourg and will be long gone before you're even close.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The drive from Paris to Strasbourg and back

Its a pretty straightforward 5 hour drive even with a break.

You can stop off at Reims, Verdun, Metz, Nancy, Luxembourg, Saarbrucken all pleasant stops with things to see. Reims has all the champagne houses, Verdun has the 1st world war memorials.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The drive from Paris to Strasbourg and back

It's an easy drive on the A4 but I'm sure it will cost considerably more in tolls and fuel than if you had taken the train, which is delightful.

If I had been making the plans, I would perhaps have recommended that you take the train from CDG to Strasbourg and drive back to Paris from there, since there are indeed a number of places worth stopping along the way.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The drive from Paris to Strasbourg and back

But , Chris -- on top of the bond-grinding fatigue and mental inacuity of jet-lag, that 5 hours becomes a dangerous grind, and the driver is a hazard to himself, his passengers, and others on the road.

Every stop adds to the travel time, compounds the fatigue, and increases the risks (especially if it's a glass or two of Champagne)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The drive from Paris to Strasbourg and back

Everyone needs to decide for themselves if they think it is sensible to drive or not.I agree if you are not fit then let the train take the strain.

Dublin, Georgia
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The drive from Paris to Strasbourg and back

Thanks. We rented a car on one of our last trips. Left CDG and went toward honfleur. I know that Strasbourg is a good but longer distance but with getting lost in Rouen we were driving nearly 5 hours that day and seemed to handle it just fine. There are 2 of us so we can share the driving.

Dublin, Georgia
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The drive from Paris to Strasbourg and back

Thanks. We rented a car on one of our last trips. Left CDG and went toward honfleur. I know that Strasbourg is a good but longer distance but with getting lost in Rouen we were driving nearly 5 hours that day and seemed to handle it just fine. There are 2 of us so we can share the driving.

9. Re: The drive from Paris to Strasbourg and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 09:16