We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

Hi,

I have been researching apartments in Paris, predominately the Marais district, for a 4 night stay in September 2013 for 5 people.

When I sent an email to an apartment booking company asking if a certain apartment was available they advised me "As the Paris Mayor banned the short time rental in the city, we will rent our units on a long term base from April 2013" She then advised that you could still get an apartment but the owner risks being fined or if booked through an agency you may not end up with the apartment you originally booked.

Has anyone heard of this? And if this is the case can anyone suggest a reasonably priced 3 to 4 star hotel in the Marais district ? We are taking our elderly parents (3 of them) with us and as they are pensioners, they are watching the budget.

Thankyou in advance, Lindy

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
338 reviews
from US$60.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,248 reviews
from US$105.76*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
532 reviews
from US$43.76*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
660 reviews
from US$108.19*
London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

The "ban" on short-term rentals relates to an obscure law dating from 2005, which the city of Paris threatened to enforce in 2010. As far as I know, no owners have actually been fined, and the legal position is unclear. There have been suggestions that the law is unconstitutional. Meanwhile, the short-term rental business is thriving.

I'm not aware of any recent change in the situation. Which company told you it was pulling out of short-term rentals?

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

The company is called France Appartements

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

In fact, there are a number of trials going on at the present time in Paris on this topic.

Short term rentals are not prohibited, but are (in cities of more than 200 000 inhabitants) allowed under two conditions (article 631-7 of construction code):

- that an authorization is requested and granted by the City Hall;

- that the owner in exchange offers a real estate surface of equivalent area for standard rental

The second condition is obviously a major issue for individual owners who are considering renting their place while away from Paris, so it could be France Appartements' portfolio of places is only made up of such individual owners, who are pulling out of this market for fear of increasing legal procedures.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
820 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

I have heard recently of a landlord who received a heavy fine for short term rental. I can recommend the hotel Bastille Speria which is in the Marais, very nice and won't break your budget. You can also try the the hotel Bastille de Launay.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

Prohibited or not, we just enjoyed a short-term stay (4 nights) in an apartment in the Marais. We rented the apartment through Vacation in Paris and I would heartily recommend them. They get great reviews on this forum and they have many apartments available on a short-term basis. Good luck with your trip planning!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

If budget is a consideration then forget a 4 star hotel, they are expensive, a three star is fine, and really , I have stayed in nice two star hotels.. in facta a good two star hotel can be nicer then a so so three star. The star system in France is not based on level of luxury, or even the quality of amenties, its based on what amenties they have .. For instance a four star hotel may have to have a restaurant, but it could be a not very good one, but its there, so qualifys then as having one. and so on and so on.

It would really help if you state a budget range per night in euros. Many of us have hotels we can suggest , but some people think 100 euros is over priced and 300 euros if fair, so suggestions can be all over the map .

As for short term rentals, as far as I have been aware they have some legality issues for some time now, but , er, no one pays attention to that, book with a reputable agency and you should be fine. I did , and I was, and I think many here can claim the same.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

Lindyb1: "The company is called France Appartements"

That's odd. Their website www.rentapart.com still appears to be accepting bookings. I tried a 4-day booking for September 2013 in the Marais, got several apartments to choose from, and was able to proceed with a booking up to the point where it asked for a credit card number.

Planejane955: "I have heard recently of a landlord who received a heavy fine for short term rental."

Planejane, where did you hear that? Do you have an online reference?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,828 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

Richard - the law is quite clear, short term apartment rentals are illegal in Paris, unless flat has a specific permit/is zoned as a commercial property. This law isn't strictly adhered to for the time being, but still...

Can check Hotel Castex, very centrally located and charming.

http://www.castexhotel.com/en/

9. Re: Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 19:06
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,828 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short term Paris apartment rental not allowed

"They are putting their money where their mouth is" because their business depends on the outcome.

It isn't unheard of for cities with shortages of affordable housing to ban this type of commerce, because it ties up thousands and thousands of apartments that could be used by locals and people coming to work and study for longer stays. It also drives up prices, making housing even less affordable to residents.

And there is no shortage of hotels in Paris, catering to all tastes and budgets, and just about anywhere in the city.