We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

Boston...
4 posts
Save Topic
Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

I noted plenty of posts about proposals in paris. I was thinking maybe something like a scavanger hunt complete with a map, and other items to be located to end up somewhere special to us.My question is I wonder how helpful certain places would be, such as Lu Maison Du Cholcolat, Paul, Eiffel Tower, Louvre, would be with giving out prepared notes to her when she arrived. Does it seem too complicated? BTW we were there last spring. Best time of our lives. We were there for 3 weeks.

Edited: 14 November 2012, 18:17
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

I think that many such places would be pleased to be accomplices, but you would have to choose small enough places for the necessary people to be in the know -- for example, I can't imagine it working at the Louvre or the Eiffel Tower, unless the note is planted in a specific gift shop or snack bar at those locations. But who is going to organize all of this? -- you would need to arrive a day or two before she does.

Interestingly enough, an internet friend recently left me a gift at a random fishmonger at a market close to where I live. The fishmonger was as thrilled to give it to me as I was to hunt up the place and ask about it.

Boston...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

Ya, that is my issue. there is no way to arrive early. I was hoping Emails and phone calls would suffice. Maybe if I bring all of the pertinent things with me and go there prior to her realizing whats going on. Ugh, the dilemmas of my life.: )

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

Well, how about if you suggest that she enjoy a day of shopping (which you, of course, would just detest!) and while she's shopping, you'll go see the sewers, or catacombs or some other suitably "manly" thing. Then you can go about setting the whole thing up. I think it sounds wonderful!

Boston...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

That was an idea HappyGoin. But she knows me and knows I like shopping more than she does lol. Im excited for this to work out. I appreciate all your help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

Ach...you're not going to make this easy for us, are you? :)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

You and I must not be typical of our genders Bob F as I would much rather visit the sewers or catacombs than go shopping!!! I know this wasn't on your list of things but I wondered if a Seine cruise might be willing to help out? That way you could be there at the Eiffel - for example - but with only a small boat to deal with? Just a random idea...

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

If you do choose a Seine cruise, I might suggest you go with a smaller boat like Le Calife, which gets good buzz here on TA. They do dinner, and the food is reported to be good. Those huge boats (the cattle boats that don't do dinner) are entirely too crowded and busy for something like this.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

I did this for a kid's B-day party, all in the Champs de Mars area. I did most of it by text. ie, when you get to the top of the ET, text me the number of stairs. Once I got the text, they got the next clue. The found me with the bday picnic at the end.

The lady who runs the merry go round gave them one clue (easy to organise while they were up counting stairs).

You could end it with having her tell her name to the elevator operator at the Jules Verne. He'd let her up and you could be there with the ring.

Only problem with that is you don't get to be there with her.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

Since you love to shop, why not contact the personal shopper at the Bon Marche and ask for them to help you plan something within the store, or have the concierge at your hotel plan something out.

There are also freelance concierges, or local wedding planners who would be happy to help.

I recently used a wedding / engagement photographer to do some family photos and she was fantastic. Maybe she'd do something for you and shoot it along the way. Lidnsey Kent from Pictours Paris

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriage Proposal (Yes i hit search 1st)

I was thinking about a shopping tour as well - in addition to Bon Marche, you could also do a "spree" along rue St. Honore & Place Vendome, ending at La Maison du Chocolat.

I like the scavenger hunt throughout the city idea, but i would just worry that you'd be so busy making sure everything goes as planned that you wouldn't enjoy it....

Sometimes, the simple things are the best :-)