We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on the combo washer-dryers

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,815 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tips on the combo washer-dryers

I'm renting an apartment in Paris this March that has a combo washer-dryer. We did this once before, and I don't think the clothes even got as dry as they do in my washer at home. I've read that you need to take out 1/2 of the clothes before you dry, but I'm not sure how much that is starting with. Wouldn't it be easier just to start with 1/2 as many clothes? Do you just fill the washer up 1/2 way?

I should have about 2 days for things to line dry (before I have to pack them to go to Amsterdam), but when we were in Paris in June 2009 it seemed to take 2 or 3 days for things to dry. I don't know if there wasn't enough ventilation or what. At home I generally don't line dry a lot, and if I'm going to it's on a clothesline outside so things dry quicker (and seem to be softer than drying in the house).

From the photos, I think there might be a heated towel rack in the bathroom, so that's the only option I've come up with so far.

I know there are quite a few posters on here who use these types of washer-dryer combos at home, so I thought I would check for suggestions.

Thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,653 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Tips on the combo washer-dryers

there are steam cycles, but it's considered a special (read: painfully expensive) option -- so it's rather uncommon to see them, particularly in rented units.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: Tips on the combo washer-dryers

As regards temperature, just select 30 degrees if it's offered. (On modern machines, it will be) If you get an older machine, select 40. Don't worry what that is in Fahrenheit, it doesn't matter. Pick the lowest number and you will get the coolest water. Simples!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,463 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Tips on the combo washer-dryers

Just out of curiosity, if you live in a small apartment in a big city where living space is expensive (NYC) how do you do your laundry? Are there smaller machines available for those who don't have a separate laundry room/ basement? How do older people, or those living alone manage with a huge machine?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,815 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Tips on the combo washer-dryers

Some apartments I've seen have a separate washer and dryer but in a closet. Nothing actually goes in the closet but the washer and dryer. Others have ones that stack on top of each other. Like this:

http://tinyurl.com/ccnwxcz

They are often also in a closet type area. I've never seen a combo one in the US, but they could exist. Many of the apartments I've lived in didn't have a washer/dryer and we used a laundromat (but that was back in my student days - I haven't lived in an apartment since then). Others have a laundry room in the building, usually with coin operated machines.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,463 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Tips on the combo washer-dryers

Thanks btgm, it's interesting what we take for granted isn't it? Even the sales information is different, I have recently bought a new washer/dryer and the sales ticket showed the maximum weight of clothing for washing and the maximum weight for drying, rather than the cubic capacity of the machine.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Tips on the combo washer-dryers

The things we take for granted - I only use my dryer in winter, and then only for towels, sheets, etc. I use a wooden clotheshorse over the central heating vent my big kitchen. Yesterday, I put all my clothes out on the clothesline in the backyard. The smell of towels dried in the sunshine is wonderful

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Tips on the combo washer-dryers

I am just curious.

Is this the machine we were talking about on another thread recently where the visitor in an apartment jammed it with the clothes inside?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,815 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Tips on the combo washer-dryers

No. I was just looking for general tips. However, I think that was a combo washer/dryer in the other thread, IIRC. No direct connection with this topic though.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,653 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Tips on the combo washer-dryers

No the one that got jammed was a washer-only unit -- but it was one of the narrow models where the drum is fixed horizontally (like a front loader), but there's an access hatch to the drum so you can load it from the top.

I linked to a photo of it in the other thread.

Completely different issue than the one here.

60. Re: Tips on the combo washer-dryers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:19