We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Versailles by RER

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Versailles by RER

We are in Paris for a few days and would like to see Versailles. From reading posts on this forum, it sounds like RER is the way to go. We are staying in the 7th near Invalades. For those of you that know Paris, where is the nearest place to get the train? Is it possible to just get a round trip ticket. I don't think we will be going anyplace else by train.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Versailles by RER

If you are staying near Invalides you would take RER C from the Invalides stop on RER C and go to Versailles Rive Gauche.

www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php… (RER C is the yellow line running along the left bank of the Seine)

There are no round trip tickets, you just buy two tickets before going and keep one for the trip back. Keep your ticket until the end of your trip and once you are on the street throw it away so as not to get it confused with the unused one.

Edited: 22 November 2012, 21:50
Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Versailles by RER

To avoid confusion, take the train with the code "VICK" on the front of it. Any train from Versailles will get you back to Paris.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Versailles by RER

If you are within easy walking distance of the Invalides station, that's fine. If not, be aware that an RER trip includes any connecting Metro trip. If you want to take the Metro to Invalides, tell the ticket clerk (or the automated machine) your final destination. In a way, you'll be getting a "free" Metro ride.

At Invalides, take the time to study the electronic departure signs. For every train you'll need, it will say "Chateau de Versailles." It's the last stop on that line. Don't jump on the first train you see that is in the station and about to depart. The next train will come along in a few minutes.

-- Steve

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,051 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Versailles by RER

In a month in Paris I have yet to see a metro station with a ticket clerk; I think they may be all phased out. The machines however offer language selection first off and they are very easy to use -- keep your receipt. Last time I bought RER tickets (last week), two of them didn't work and I had to have them reissued by the information clerk.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Versailles by RER

Janet, that's interesting because it seems to me so many of the stations I go through have a a ticket clerk. I'm staying near Hotel de Ville, there's one there. Chatelet and St Paul too. And quite a few others that I gone up to with questions. I guess those manned stations tend to the ones that have many connecting lines.

For the OP, I just went out to Versailles on the RER C yesterday. It was very easy. Just do watch for the right train. And be prepared, it was very cold out there , seemingly colder than in Paris.

6. Re: Versailles by RER

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 22:15