We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour guide for Paris sight-seeing and day trips

florida
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tour guide for Paris sight-seeing and day trips

We're elderly and haven't been to Paris in more than 45 years. We're on a cruise which ends in Southampton and I'm thinking this is our chance to visit the great city again. Problem is that we'll need a driver/guide when we're in Paris, both to be reminded of the wonders of the city itself and to get to places like Versailles, Giverny, etc.

I know that there are dozens (hundreds?) of tour companies/guides. I'm hoping that people can suggest which are "the best"? I think we'd prefer to be in some sort of small group than to have a private car. The visit would be early September.

Thanks.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
City Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour guide for Paris sight-seeing and day trips

Well Cityrama does big bus tours to all sights, but they also have the small van tours available also( $$$) . They are well known and reliable.

pariscityvision.com/

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour guide for Paris sight-seeing and day trips

You may enjoy just taking the HOHO buses and touring around a bit on your own. You can hop on and off at any sight that interests you, the buses circle four different routes and pass by all major sites. The two day pass is only a few euros more then the one day pass. The metro and regular buses are faster, but then you have to do the homework regarding planning your route, the hoho buses take that work out, they come with earphones that give a very basic overview of sights as you pass by.. if weather is nice its nice to sit up top and get a nice street view of neighborhoods, but I am thinking that might be rather chilly in winter.

San Diego
Level Contributor
787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour guide for Paris sight-seeing and day trips

How about a drive around the city in a vintage Citroen 2CV? Several compnies offer these sorts of tours, but it might be more fun to snuggle in the back with the roof open as you cruse around the city

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour guide for Paris sight-seeing and day trips

If you don't mind taking the metro, consider a tour with Michael Osman.

http://tinyurl.com/bpcptsr

Edited: 26 November 2012, 01:14
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour guide for Paris sight-seeing and day trips

You can easily go to Giverny or Versailles on your own for far less than the cost of the minivan "tours". When looking at the minivan tours, be sure to determine whether a guided tour is provided once there (often they're not and all you really get is door to door transportation).

For going on your own, search this forum or check the official websites for detailed instructions on getting there.

If you cannot walk long distances, the minivan tours do get you closer to the entrances than public transportation, but walking quite a bit is required once inside the grounds.

florida
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour guide for Paris sight-seeing and day trips

Thank you all very much. At this point in our life and for a number of reasons, we can't do things on our own. We used to love walking and taking public transportation everywhere, but there comes a time when that's not feasible. We're grateful we're still able to travel at all, but that's only if we don't have to make many decisions or get around on our own..

I will check out Cityrama and any other tour groups that people are kind enough to suggest. I believe we'd be less comfortable having a private guide for the two of us; would rather have some sort of small group.

Thanks again.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tour guide for Paris sight-seeing and day trips

Nancy, I rarely take tours, but did take two offered by Cityrama…One full day to Giverny and Auvers-sur-Oise and one to the Champagne area, Rheims and Epernay. Both were excellent, well priced and with superb guides. I don’t think that you would be disappointed. They offered me wonderful glimpses of these areas that I might not have found on my own. Yes, you could do this by yourself (trains etc. etc. etc.) but, sometimes it is luxurious and simpler just to relax and let others deal with the organizational minutiae. Essentially, Cityrama tours are very good value. I loved them both.

There were only about 20 people on each of these tours, but this was in 2005 and 2007.

Edited: 27 November 2012, 01:35
florida
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour guide for Paris sight-seeing and day trips

Nice to have confirmation. Thanks. The website looks as if they have just the kind of thing we're looking for.

9. Re: tour guide for Paris sight-seeing and day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 08:16