We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unpleasant experience

Singapore
Level Contributor
316 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Unpleasant experience

We reached Gare Du Nord train station and decided to take a cab to our hotel at Rue des Ecoles. Had a very unpleasant experience. The meter was already €26 and we had not reached our destination. It rained and there was a very bad jam. When we asked how far more to reach our hotel, the driver told us it's quite far.

We decided to stopby the nearest metro with 3 big luggage! What a bad experience! Please careful when you decided to take a taxi!

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unpleasant experience

I'm confused about your "warning" to be careful when you take a taxi. If it rains and there is a traffic jam of course it will take longer and cost more money. What is it that you need to be careful about? Traffic is traffic and cannot be helped.

It makes no sense to me to get out of the taxi in the rain with big suitcases and go to the metro. Of course that would be unpleasant!

If a taxi was too expensive for you it probably would have been best to figure out alternate transportation in the first place, not while you were in the middle of the journey.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unpleasant experience

Well getting out and taking the metro in the pouring rain with three big luggage does sound horrible. I would have stayed in taxi. I mean you spend money on a vacation( bet you went shopping right) why not spend a bit to make it less horrible!! No one would advise a person with three big bags to take the metro, each person should be able to easily handle their own luggage. If there were only two of you that seems impossible.

Please tell us more about what happened.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unpleasant experience

That is pretty expensive for that journey, unless you had been sitting in traffic for around an hour then i would say you were taken advantage of.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unpleasant experience

I always wonder at these types of posts. In the overall travel budget, a taxi fare is so small for the convenience it provides. In this case, whatever it was going to be HAD to be worth it not to trudge 5 people plus their luggage through the pouring rain to a métro stop. I just don't get it.

Singapore
Level Contributor
316 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unpleasant experience

There were five of us. We took 2 taxis and the other taxi already arrived at the hotel and the fare was €25. I'm not complaining that the charges was expensive. Given the traffic conditions and weather, it would cost more. The taxi driver was precisely dishonest, we asked him twice and he was only able to tell us that we were still far from the hotel. How can the other taxi arrived at the hotel and we were not halfway there when both taxis left at the same time?

We checked up the map, indeed, we were not halfway there. I won't be surprised if the final figure on the meter is €60 if we continue our journey in that taxi!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unpleasant experience

Most people here seem to love the efficiency of Paris taxi drivers, but as a resident I do not, even though I can prevent them from cheating me since I know exactly where they are going.

For me, it is a pain to have to watch their every move, to see what route they are using and if they are deliberately missing green lights -- so I nearly always take the metro, or sometimes the bus.

Assuming that you are Asian, the taxi driver probably imagined that you were Chinese and tried to get as much money as possible out of you since our Chinese visitors unfortunately tend to spend huge amounts of money without paying attention. This too shall pass... but when?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unpleasant experience

I would say that this falls under "stuff happens", but - at least IMO - not a big deal in the whole scheme of things. Did you write down the taxi/driver number in order to file a complaint?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unpleasant experience

Ah you were perhaps being ripped off , I would be angry too. I know some say the taxi drivers never deceivce in Paris but I don't believe that as human nature is the same the world over and you got the one bad apple. So sorry it happened to you, its not common, but I believe it happens on occaision.

Were both these taxis from the taxi stand at Gare Du Nord? And why did you take two taxis?

Singapore
Level Contributor
316 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unpleasant experience

Both taxis were taken at the tax stand at Gare du Nord. There was an attendant at the taxi stand who told us we needed two cabs. We felt so too as there were 5 of us and 5 luggage.

And yes, we were suprised that we were ripped off by a taxi driver in Paris!

Singapore
Level Contributor
316 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unpleasant experience

Unfortunately, we did not take down any details of the taxi/driver. It's not the money that matters, but the inconvenience and unpleasant experience that had caused on our first day in Paris.