We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips by train... From Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips by train... From Paris

Going to Paris for New Year and thinking about taking a day trip to some other citiy, any reco? That is not Versailles

We like history and architecture

Thxs!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,086 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips by train... From Paris

Chartres, Rouen, Reims and Dijon come immediately to mind.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,585 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips by train... From Paris

Chantilly is a pleasant day trip into the countryside with the Chateau and the impressive riding school.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips by train... From Paris

Look at a Michelin map of the Parisian region at large..THROW a dart....there will be some old town...

Or Google a train line from Paris to ...any direction, and then Google this or that town along the line..

Once we went to Lille, 1 1/2 hr by TGV.

Downtown Lille as Flemish style architecture.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips by train... From Paris

Even Lyon could be done as a day trip (2h by TGV fast train), though it would not be doing this great city justice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,912 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips by train... From Paris

I went on a day tour to Brugges in Belgium and it was a highlight of my trip to Paris last year

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips by train... From Paris

I'm planning a day trip to Provins during my next trip to Paris, in April.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips by train... From Paris

@3CONILS: nowadays it only takes 1h05 to go to Lille ;)

@everybody: there's a great exhibit in Lille with stunning paintings from Bosch and Brueghel.

I went there last friday and IMO it was well worth it :))

http://www.pba-lille.fr/spip.php?article2829

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips by train... From Paris

If it's a city you want and not a town or village you have many options. Ones that are in France and are within roughly 1-1/2+/- hours by train are Chartres, Rouen, Dijon, Lille, Troyes, Blois, Auxerre, Tours and Reims. Some of these destinations require a TGV train and you need to buy your tickets now to get the cheapest prices. For some of these destinations only certain trains at certain times of the day will take 1-1/2+/- hours, others will take longer.

You need to look at the tourist office websites for these cities to find out about them and see which interests you. If you are taking a TGV train here is a website that will tell you how to navigate the TGV website to purchase tickets:

www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Since you'll be here in January and you'll have short daylight hours (sunrise about 8:45AM and sunset about 5:05PM) then I would stick to those places you can reach in less than 1-1/2+/- hours by train. I would also leave very early, before 8AM.

Edited: 08 December 2012, 12:11
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips by train... From Paris

Bearing in mind FM's last point, and the possibility of bad weather at that time of year, I suggest it may be a good idea to keep it flexible and choose between places that are served by loca and regional trains for which you can buy tickets on the day or the previous one. These include Chartres, Troyes, Chantilly and Provins.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips by train... From Paris

If you can find it, Annabel Simms has a book called An Hour From Paris. In it she lists about 20 day trips all accessible by train from central Paris in an hour or less.

She gives a bit of history about each village, how to get there, suggested walking routes, restaurants and places of interest in each one. It makes an excellent guide.