We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

Wirral
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

Hi

We are travelling to Paris for 3 nights in January with our two sons aged 11 and 8. Can anyone suggest fun/enjoyable things they might have done with their children or family members whilst in Paris? I have a list as long as my arm of places I want to visit but Im very aware I need to make it fun for them. I have booked a short river cruise and have tickets to go up the Montparnasse Tower as were staying very close to that!! All suggestions will be very gratefully received!

Thanks.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
573 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.50*
scotland
Level Contributor
204 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

Hi,

Montparnasse tower is great, I'm sure your children will love it!!

In answer to your question, why don't you let the children plan an afternoon of activities, and let them help you to pick out what will be most fun?

They might appreciate a venture into Deyrolle, a shop at Rue du Bac in the 7th. It is full of taxidermied animals, polar bears, peacocks, eagles, bats, butterflies, bugs, tigers etc. The animals are upstairs in the shop.

I hope you all have a great time!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

My 11 year old especially loved feeding the pigeons in front of Notre Dame. A very nice older man was giving my son food for the birds and teaching him to hold out his hand so that the birds would land in it to get food. My son was just thrilled!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

Depending on when precisely in January you could take them ice skating (the one in front of Hôtel de ville is open untill march):

paris.fr/loisirs/les-grands-rendez-vous/noel…

Paris mômes is all about 0-12 yrs old:

http://www.parismomes.fr/

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

The Museum of Arts et Métiers in the upper Marais is a terrific place, especially for boys the ages yours are. There is an exhibit on robots going on that would be great fun. You might keep it in mind for a rainy day.

www.arts-et-metiers.net/musee.php…

Texas
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

Great playground in a very small park right behind Notre Dame. Let me enjoy the things French children enjoy!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

Cite des sciences (www.cite-sciences.fr/en/cite-des-sciences) is often a big hit for boys this age, but it's a bit out of the way, so you'd have to allot it a good half-day, which may sound difficult on a short visit. Plus it's not uber-typically French...

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,222 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

My 11 yr old and 13 yr olds enjoyed the Invalids Army Museum, not the more modern (WWI or WWII sections so much) but the medival weapons and suits of armour .. the collection is quite huge.

Of course the usual , climbing the Towers of Notre Dame and going up the ET. We gone in summer , so yes, my 11 yr old still enjoyed the playgrounds, but my 13 yr old was obviously a bit old for that, your kids are a good age.

My kids had to do research and find three sites they wanted to visit, my son chose the Catacombs( which are unfortuanately closed now ) and my daughter chose Versailles as well as the usual ( ND and ET) .

I had also looked at what special exhibits were on while we were in {Paris so my dd and I enjoyed the YSL exhibit and the Xian Terra Cotta Warriors. Suggest you look to see whats on that way and see if you can find things that tap on your sons interests. When my ex took our other son he found a Leanardo Da Vinci exhibit with his drawings of helicopters etc that son found fasicinating.

Edited: 10 December 2012, 14:45
San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

Like joan1, my then 9 & 11 year old boys loved those sections of the Musee d'Armee, as well as the section with dioramas; climbing Notre Dame to see the gargoyles up close; and the playground in Luxembourg Gardens on a Wed afternoon. And, of course, sampling many kinds of pastries. :)

Amherst...
Level Contributor
259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

Musée Grévin, the wax museum, was my 11-year-old grandson's favorite. He also enjoyed lunch at the Auberge Nicolas Flamel, being a big Harry Potter fan.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris in January with 2 children 11 and 8 any suggestions on

Lots of circuses in Paris at that time. The show at the Cirque d'hiver is worth it for the building alone.