We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

I am trying to pay for a new years day brunch at restaurant Le Maurice in Paris and they will not make my reservation with credit card alone. They are also requesting a photo copy back and front of the card. I have already faxed them through a signed consent form with all my CC details. I am sure you don't need a photo copy to book to stay at the hotel, so why for the restaurant? I am reluctant to do this and have said i will bring in my CC for personal inspection 4 days prior to the event but they are insistent.??

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

Are you wedded to Le Maurice? They seem to be saying you are too much trouble. Image the reception when you turn up.

Are there other options you could go with? Forcing your custom on a reluctant seller seems so...unrewarding.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

I am presuming this is a form of guarantee you will turn up and/or not cancel at the last minute. Showing up only 4 days before is probably not secure enough for them. If you think of it from their perspective it is probably one of their biggest days of the year and they are just being extra careful to prevent no shows.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

Take 2....Given the review I just read on TA, I hope you are spelling the name of the restaurant properly in your correspondence with them: Le Meurice.

And I see that it is a truly grand place - as one reviewer says: "heavy elaborate curtains, crystal chandeliers and mosaic floors. Old world oppulance." I think they mean "opulence".

So I guess it is a case of "my restaurant, my rules".

Play their game, or go elsewhere - your call.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

I agree with GoingRoundAgain...businesses have the right to set rules and we customer have the choice to go trough the hoops or not.

In my younger days I would have crawled and bowed to please a business...with age I got wiser.

Not so long ago I was told to leave my small expensive backpack at the reception. I was in a foreign country and had some precious stuff in it, so I said with a big smile : "if you don't trust me why should I trust YOU?" and walked away....

Someone ran after me and said "but don't you want to stay here and.. " No I no longer did..

Le Meurice is a great place and I understand you wanting to go there...but I wouldn't go through all the trouble...

I refuse to reserve in advance anywhere and to give my credit card info (I don't buy anything on line either).

I still go to many interesting restaurants...(obviously not Michelin stars one) If there is no room in one, I go to another..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

Hi,

Thank you for your comments.

I am still undecided.

Yes, this is Le Maurice on Rue de Rivoli, a magnificent grand 5 star hotel and Michelin starred restaurant.

The other concern i have is it has only been one person corresponding with me and when i did not reply for a week she contacted me and again requested my photo copy of my CC. At that point i was considering trying elsewhere. I am pursuing it now as we have an opening on that day.

Yes, i am not sure if this experience is worth jumping through these hoops and yes, what reception will i be given when i arrive?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

A merchant only requires a photocopy of your credit card if he intends to commit fraud with the card, particularly Internet fraud.

If you've been communicating with only one person, perhaps she intends to commit fraud personally. Contact the hotel yourself, on your initiative, and insist on talking to more than one person (and not the person with whom you've been communicating).

Contact your credit-card company and alert them to the fraud potential. And remember that there are many fine restaurants in Paris, many of them better than anything at the Meurice, and all of them willing to accommodate you without using your card fraudulently.

In any case, DO NOT send them photocopies of the card. Not only does this open the door to fraud, but the bank may very legitimately hold you responsible for the fraud since you made it possible deliberately.

Edited: 13 December 2012, 03:10
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,704 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

Perhaps a phone call to the hotel?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,822 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

I would say this is too much trouble. Usually, a consent form with your CC number and signature via fax does the job when it comes to a guarantee. Asking for the CC image is simply too much.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

Thank you all again.

I think i will try phoning the hotel directly.

They do have a toll free number for Australia but they were unable to help me with restaurant reservations or payments.

I am not sure why they just don't directly charge my card as the brunch is a set price and they have all the CC details required now?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,721 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photo copy of CC required to make restaurant reservation?

I wouldn't do this for a restaurant. Can't imagine why they need it except for purposes of credit card fraud.

While France is not known for customer service and I generally tend to be forgiving about that, being hassled in this truly ridiculous way is not something I am going to reward. (and I have given my CC number to book all sorts of things in France for many years without ever being asked for anything so silly as this --it is simply not necessary for them to have in order to make a charge)