We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using IMessage in Europe

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Using IMessage in Europe

Is I Message free to other IMessage users from Europe to Australia? Do you need to be in a WiFi area for it to be free?

laj
Brisbane Aust
Level Contributor
374 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using IMessage in Europe

None of mine went through as imessage even with wifi. We used Facebook messaging for free messages.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using IMessage in Europe

I was able to use iMessage to chat with people back home in the US in both London and Paris via WiFi. I kept my "cellular data" and especially "data roaming" off, and only used WiFi the entire trip, and wasn't charged anything extra on my phone bill. I do believe you have to have "airplane mode" turned off for the iMessage function to work though, so make sure you turn off the data options to avoid the big roaming charge!

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using IMessage in Europe

You need to be connected to the internet, and then yes, it is free anywhere in the world. I iMessage Chicago daily, Sam, I've got a kid at your University!

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using IMessage in Europe

BTW "Data roaming" is OFF by default, so no problem there unless you put it on yourself.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using IMessage in Europe

it's a great thing isn't it phread?

Another consideration might be to turn off the option to "send as SMS". If your phone for some reason decides it can't find/use the WiFi it will automatically send the iMessage as a text message instead, which costs $$. I think it was $0.50 to send a text via AT&T. All incoming text messages are free with AT&T though, which was nice. You might check with your carrier and see what they're talking about though. I also noticed that my wife iPhone wouldn't connect to any local carrier in either London or Paris, where as mine would with no problem. I figured out later on that I have an "international roaming" option enabled on my account which is free, but she doesn't. Apparently this keeps your phone from being able to connect to anything but your home carrier. When we finally got home and she switched her phone on, she was flooded with loads of texts from the previous 11 days!

6. Re: Using IMessage in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2013, 10:15