We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montparnasse Area

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
371 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Montparnasse Area

I would just like to ask for some advice regarding the Montparnasse area please.

Hubby & I will be travelling to Paris again next year (with my sister in law) & I am thinking of booking at the Hotel Edouard Vl. We have preiously stayed in the 9th & the 5th/6th Arr.

I do have a mobility problem, a weakness in my legs & I found that staying in those areas, we would often have to change Metro lines (sometimes twice) to get to where we wanted to go. Although the Metro was quick & efficient, there was often a lot of walking underground to change lines.

I noticed on the Metro map that Montparnasse has a single line that goes to just about everywhere we will want to visit. So very convenient.

I do not really like the area around Gare du Nord or Gare de l'Est though, and was wondering if it is going to be similar around Gare Montparnasse? If so, I would rather stay in an area like the 6th or 9th.

It will be my sister in laws first visit & I want her to be in a pleasant area, with the usual cafes, bakeries, shops, etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montparnasse Area

The Montparnasse area is a fine area to stay in. But my first thought was that, with any mobility issue, why not use the bus system rather than the métro? It may not get you where you're going as quickly, but it might save you more in terms of energy and stamina.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Montparnasse Area

After many trips to Paris we finally discovered the bus system on our last trip. Now we will use the Metro only when necessary. Every trip on a bus is a mini sightseeing tour and no steps.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
844 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montparnasse Area

Monparnasse is nothing like the area around Gare Du Nord (thankfully).

Only point I want to make is Montparnasse metro station is huge and there can be quite a distance walking between metro lines. It can also get extremely busy so can be rather unpleasant to navigate, especially with mobility issues. However there is a long travelator connecting both ends of the station.

As happyG pointed out the bus network is worth looking into. At least you get to see where you are going.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montparnasse Area

The hotel has an excellent location not for the Montparnasse Metro/RER station, but for the bus routes.

The station is gigantic with endless corridors. There are escalators and a people mover (one or both often out of order). There is nothing convenient about getting from train to street level in this station, particularly for lines 4 and 12.

Go to www.ratp.fr and enter the address of the hotel. Click on Recherche. On the next page, check the Bus box for the locations of the bus stops/routes.

The area is very pleasant, most definitely nicer than the area around Gare du Nord or Gare de l'Est,

The neighborhood is very close to the 6th, anyway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
371 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montparnasse Area

Thank you for all those replies. I did use the bus system more the last time we were in Paris. It just seemed more awkward working out where buses were going than the Metro. Laziness on my part, lol! A lot of the time I simply forgot about the buses, you see that Metro sign on the footpath & just go down the stairs.

I do see though how convenient Montparnasse is for buses as well, so, with so many bus lines in one area, I think we will using them this time. I will research more thoroughly & try to forget the Metro exists.

Thank you again.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,146 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montparnasse Area

I now use only buses to get where i want to go unless it takes more than 2 changes. Having seen most of the major sites I now love just riding the buses and getting a tour for under 2E!

Stop by the Monoprix store and pick up a copy of the Guide des Autobus Parisiens. It is my 'bus bible" and it gets me around the city easily.

Edited: 23 December 2012, 02:33
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,593 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montparnasse Area

I like the area and its nothing like the area around Gare du Nord or Est.. so you can relax on that account.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,681 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montparnasse Area

Hotel is on Bd du Montparnasse -- an interesting, lively street, lined with restaurants, cinemas, some famous cafés and brasseries, and you're a few steps away from the shopping street rue de Rennes -- also pleasant and convenient.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
371 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montparnasse Area

Thanks so much! And thank you Maddietravel for the tip about the Bus guide - just what I need.

I'm so glad the area is pleasant, I have also done most of the sites, but my sister in law loves shopping (more than history) so it sounds like it will be lovely there.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montparnasse Area

Note also that there's an Air France coach stop right next to Gare Montparnasse.