We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

We are headed to Paris next June, for a 3 night stay in the french capital. And wondering which of the following would prove useful areas to stay, in regards to the metro/ RER and the major sights of the city???

Near Oberkampf area.(Nr St Maur and St Ambroise Metro)

Between Opera and Montmartre (Nr Cadet Metro)

11th arrondissement (Near St Maur and Pere Lachaise Metro)

6th arrondissement (Near Luxembourg Garden, Vavin (line 4), Raspail (line 6, 4), Notre Dame des Champs (line 12)

Menilmontant (Near Metro Rue Saint-Maur (line 3) and Menilmontant (line 2) )

9th district, (Le Peletier Metro) Near Galeries Lafayette, Saint Lazare station and Montmartre

Near Bastille (2 mins to Charonne Metro)

Jourdain/ Bellvile (close to Père Lachaise metro)

6th region, Odeon, (nr Metro Odeon)

Montmartre/sacre coeur (Abbesses and Anvers Metro)

Nr Buttes Chaumont Garden and Ourcq's sluice. (Nr Crimee and Riquet Metro)

All help is greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Daniel

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,972 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

In regards to metro/RER access and major sites, any of the addresses you mention work perfectly well.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,034 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

With only three days, it's just not worth obsessing over...

You could highlight those places you wish to visit during your stay and choose where to sleep accordingly, or just rely on the excellent transit system to get you where you want to go regardless.

You're just not going to be able to get around to many of the "major sights of the city"...except, perhaps, with a ride around on l'Opentour if the weather is nice...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,454 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

I agree with DJK -- you have so little time, it doesn't much matter

I would stay in the 4th, 5th or 6th as they are in walking distance of many important Paris sites and I like to be near the Seine on a short trip to enjoy the beauty of this area at night

thus I would avoid Oberkampf, Pere Lachaise, Montmartre and probably Bastille

but most important is to decide what you most care about seeing and doing since 3 nights gives you just 2 full days to see the city

California
Level Contributor
5,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

I'd pick the 6th near Odeon, then the 6th near Luxembourg, then Bastille.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

Many thanks folks for your swift and useful responses. Presently, we are forming a malleable itinerary aiming to take in as much of the following as possible-

Louvre

Arc di Triumphe

Champs Elysee

Le Marché aux Puces de St-Ouen

Le Champ de Mars

Sacre Coeur

Canal St-Martin

Pompidou Centre

le marais

Jardin des Tuilerie...

Perhaps we would be best suited taking an organized tour which cuts through a swathe of the above in one fell swoop in one day???

Edited: 23 December 2012, 06:30
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

First visit? If it were me, I'd need an orientation - whether by organised tour, or using the hop-on-hop-off buses. The latter offer the "drive by" experience whereas tours may include limited "visits". If you are focused first and only on orientation, I would use the HoHo buses. You will be looking but not visiting - effectively spotting what you want to come back to that you missed when you were first planning the trip. So you could try grouping the sites that appeal to you under the headings of to see, to visit and to experience - and doing that in terms of the various districts/precincts of Paris eg Marais, Left Bank etc.

As an example, my fave "to see" is the view across from the Palais de Chaillot to the Tour Eiffel. You would turn that into a "visit" by walking down past the fountains and over to the tower and taking the lift to "climb" it. Having a meal there would turn it into an "experience". Another "to see" candidate is the batobus tour - another hop-on-hop-off experience, but one that shows the city from the perspective of the Seine. Me, I'd combine that with the land based bus as part of my orientation.

A walk from the Louvre, across the Place du Carrousel, through the Tuilleries and up the Champs to the Arc de Triomphe is an extended "to see" - but it offers many "to visit" and "to experience" opportunties, from the exterior of the Louvre Palace itself (the courtyard, the pyramids, the fountains) to the L'Orangerie gallery for the Monet waterlilies, to the Petit Palais etc.

As soon as you start this process you may come to see, as I did, that a visit to Paris is a personal thing - first read, then select, then plan, then discard...then start again! It is half the fun. Or just sit back and pick a three-day package tour and take what is offered.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

With only three days, *I* would want to jump straight in there, rather than spending the first day on an 'Orientation' ride!!

I do my Orientaton beforehand, using online resources...

Obviously I already know Paris very well, but if I were planning a short trip to a new city, I would be researching my own list of what I wanted to see, whether any of those places offered late evening opening, and also any days they were closed.

So, in your case, I would arrive in Paris knowing that the Louvre, Tuileries, Champs-Elysees and Arc de Triomphe are all in a straight line and that you can walk from one to the other, but that the Louvre is so massive that you may not feel like walking anywhere after it!

I would also know that the Louvre opens late on a Wednesday and a Friday.

I do not like organised tours...but I am not you. Many people here recommend the Hop-On-Hop-Off buses for first-time visitors.

Manchester United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

I'd get a map of Paris and after doing a bit of research mark all your 'must sees'

If you are lucky they will fall into 3 neat groups but probably not!

At least you would have an overall view of what you intend to try in 3 days

Melbourne
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

We spent more of yesterday, in the horrid 40C heatwave here in Melbourne, studying the map and finding as you suggested Sussexgirl, that many of our desired attractions are nearby and can be enjoyed consecutively without the need for much traveling by public transport.

The louvre will take an afternoon or longer from a day, and it may well prove a toss-up between a day of more delights such as...sacre coeur...opera...pompidou centre...notre dame...and solely the louvre with a pleasant dinner near the seine to follow.

More work needed on our shortlist before shoosing accomodation, but presently we are leaning towards a place in the 6th region near Metro Odeon...

Edited: 23 December 2012, 23:30
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

I have been over 20 times and recommend the Latin Quarter area for touring-you're close to the RER so easy access to the airport and train to Disney or Versailles plus you can take in within inner Paris on a regular metro ticket-buy a Musee Pass if you tour on your own. also a 3 day travel card is good for the metro and bus. Or a carnet of 10 if you plan to walk alot and just ride the metro once or twice a day. Depending on price, the Hotel du College de France is a great bargain near the Pantheon. Holiday Notre Dame is also nice and has a great rooftop bar to see the lights of Paris with a drink or two. Melia Colbert is a fancy hotel 100m from Notre Dame. We were in Room 1, which was huge but on the ground floor, which we didn't mind (just make sure the windows are locked). I have stayed in all 3 of these plus many more around Paris-see my reviews if you would like. I wouldn't stay in the Opera area unless you were there mainly to shop, go to the Opera, etc. Another good thing about the Latin Quarter are many moderately priced restaurants in what is nicknamed Bacteria Alley, although we have dined at many and have never had a problem with the food-we like the Marathon for one. The Champs is great to see but very pricey (easy to get to on RER and then go back to a less expensive more central area). Also, I highly recommend a visit to Sacre Coeur (free view just as good as that from Eiffel Tower). Try to get on or off at Abysees for a historic stop in a pretty square. Again, many restaurants but not as central. Metro is easy anad will get you almost anywhere with 200m of any place. Enjoy and Bon Voyage!