We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portimao, Portugal
Level Contributor
541 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

I'd like to be able to transfer the flight tickets I purchased for Paris to two friends - that is, as a gift as we can't make it.

Has anyone tried to approach an airline about this?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

a secretary out my office once accidentally booked a flight for my husband (we were going as part of a large group and spouses were allowed to join us paying for their own tickets) in my last name -- which is not his. the flight was reserved but not yet paid for and the airline wouldn't even let us correct the name on the ticket. he had to buy a ticket separately and ended up flying to China by a different route -- we met up in Tokyo for the last leg of the trip.

we did everything we could to get the name issue fixed -- but the only thing they would accept was ID that he had once gone by that name (the policy they use for women who marry and change their name)

airlines are not likely to allow this -- but it won't hurt to call and ask. maybe they would let you rebook by paying the rebooking fee which generally runs over 100$ a ticket to change flight times -- I would not count on it though and plan to use the tickets yourself by rebooking for later

good luck

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

I doubt it - with security at the level and complexity that it is, giving tickets with the incorrect name(s) on them is just not going to happen - not unless, there is some way to change the names on the tickets, which I too found impossible the one time I tried it - but, you should just call the airline.

That is your best (and really only) source for this kind of info.

Good luck. Sorry about your pooch - though he sounds better. I had to cancel a trip to Italy a number of years ago because my pussycat became ill and while he was really okay enough for me to go, I didn't want to ask anyone to come to take care of him because I knew how horrible that person would feel if something were to happen to him (cat) while I was away - so, I cancelled. Expensive experience but well worth the peace of mind.

Hope you get to go soon....

Portimao, Portugal
Level Contributor
541 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

The flight is with EasyJet and being an e-ticket you'd have thought that airlines could be a bit more flexible on this instances by now. I will contact them and see. It's not like I am asking for the money back - I'm not losing a lot either, it only cost 120€ or two tickets.

Yes, it's complicated to ask others to mind our pets. People are asking me why not ask someone else to be here, but I'd only ask my mum because he's used to her and she lives with us. Looks like the next time we're in Paris he'll no longer be with us. Very scary. (So, I hope I am not going soon).

Edited: 23 December 2012, 15:37
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

Yes, my sweet guy didn't make it to my next trip - wouldn't have traded the time for anything.

Do let us know if you succeed with EasyJet -

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

it has nothing to do with security or with how easy it is to change names on E-tickets -- it is just one of the ways in which airlines by being rigid can make more money -- if you don't go after all, they get all your money while putting another revenue payer into your seat

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

you can change names on flights for a fee with easyjet, but if the flights were cheap the fees may cost as much as the original flights

…custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4060

Portimao, Portugal
Level Contributor
541 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

selkieNice: you're a star! That REALLY helps. I had looked and had not seen that.

If I am right my cousin (and friend) would just have to pay 30€ (if I am seeing it correctly based on price difference and fees). Waiting for my cousin to confirm if she wants/can go.

Edited: 23 December 2012, 19:10
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

You will find that it is €42 per person for each flight. This means €84 each for a round trip.

Portimao, Portugal
Level Contributor
541 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

That would be more than current ticket prices. Ugh! I'm not going to tell EasyJet I'm not going so that they can sell the seat again.

How did you work out the 42€ per person?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight ticket transfer - is this possible?

http://www.easyjet.com/en/fees-and-charges

Fees for name changes are in the 2nd table.