We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

Hi, I am planning a trip for my sister's honeymoon. My sis and bro-in-law will be flying from Singapore and their intended destinations are London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam. Their travel dates are 20.12.2012 to 04.01.2014 - 16 days in all. This would be their first time to these places.

I wish to seek advice on which destination should I first fly into and which would be my last destination. How many days should they spend in each destination?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

They cannot reasonably see five major cities in 16 nights, especially when they are as far apart as these are. They will spend one-third of their time at airports or on trains. Spread evenly, they would have 3 nights in each city which, allowing for travel time, really means only 2 days. That is not enough time to get to know these cities, or even to see the major sights.

I suggest they should first think about which are the three cities that they really want to visit.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

Agree with above. Too many cities in 16 days. Too much travel, too little time in each to enjoy. Much too stressful, especially for a honeymoon.

You must also consider the weather, which will not be favorable for being out and about. They will have to haul a lot of outerwear so as to be comfortable outdoors.

Recommend choosing two, maybe three, cities.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

Add my voice to the chorus -- way too much in way too short a time.

also consider that at that time of the year, the sun doesn't rise until 8h45 in the morning, and it's dark by 5 pm -- the days are very, very short.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
844 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

Wow that's a busy trip. Despite the above reaction it IS possible to enjoy such a packed itinerary. I have done similar myself and although its exhausting I still enjoyed all the destinations. Of course you are not going to get to know the cities but if all you want is to see are the main sights then take a hop on hop off bus in each city and you will get you photos of Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Vatican etc

If you are wanting to visit museums and galleries, shopping and exploring then of course this is too much in too short a time .

Edited: 27 December 2012, 11:00
Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

I think you should plan a trip that's more relaxed especially if it's a honeymoon. I'd probably pick just 2 or 3 at the most. Either London-Paris-Amsterdam or Rome-Venice-Paris.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,919 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

Agree with the majority of the above replies. For a honeymoon, it is too frantic. I know that after my wedding, the lead-up, etc. the last thing I wanted to do was a rushed trip anywhere - and what you are planning is something that I wouldn't wish on people who have never been to these places before. Also you need to confirm with bride and groom what it is that THEY want to see/do, not what the rest of the world recommends

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

In addition to the very good advice above, you/they need to consider that that many/most sights will be closed on Christmas Day and New Year's day as well as some on the 26th which will further limit sightseeing options.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

I am exhausted just reading that headline!

For a honeymoon, why not just make it three cities. I would probably fly into Venice, then hit Paris, then fly home from London.

I would plan to spend NYE in view of the Eiffel Tower and her lights.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 13:46
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

Bearing in mind the time of year with the weather, short daylight hours plus Christmas and New Year I would say no more than 2 Cities.

If London is chosen then bear in mind that it closes down on Christmas Day other than restaurants including public transport other than Taxis. Some of the main attractions might be closed on Boxing Day too or open for shorter hours.

I think your sister and fiance should choose their destinations because it is their honeymoon after all but if it was me I would opt for Paris and London in that order.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Europe Trip: London + Paris + Rome + Venice + Amsterdam

What about...

Venice OR Rome - 4 days

Paris - 4 days

Amsterdam - 2 days

London - 4 days

(2 travel days - fly into Venice or Rome, fly home from London)....

Amsterdam is smaller so you can plan less time there. Maybe even just 1 full day (arrive one evening - full day - leave the next morning)

Good advice about London during Christmas holidays...although shopping on Boxing Day is pretty fun! (if you don't mind the crowds)

Edited: 27 December 2012, 15:50