We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lycamobile?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Lycamobile?

I was just about to try to order some Lebara SIMS for my unlocked phone for a February trip and was doing a bit more research on the threads when I came across a few references to Lycamobile.

I went to their website and found the following

(1) That they too are giving away free SIMS

(2) That they appear to offer data (internet) at 9 cts per MB

http://www.lycamobile.fr/en/nationalrates

So my questions are:

has anyone tried ordering one of these SIMS to a non French Address? Can you trick it like you can Lebara?

has Anyone used the data? I see lots of people are asking about data on prepaid. This looks like it could be an option which lebara does not currently offer..

If anyone has used their SIM, is there anything one should know? Problems? Pitfalls? etc..

Is there a reason to choose it over Lebara or visa versa?

merci beaucoup

raquel

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lycamobile?

Why not email and ask them? cs@lycamobile.fr

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lycamobile?

Both Lebara and Lycamobile use the Bouygues network so the call quality should be identical. I am very suspicious that the French government has rules about registering, and identifying, those using mobile phones in France. It is very possible that in sending SIMs outside of France, Lebara would have been in some technical legal breech even though the package postmarks were from the UK. While I have ordered SIMs from the USA, I always registered them using a French address. I have done this both on line and by calling their help desk. Further, I have always been able to use my US credit card to charge/recharge my account, many others have not been so lucky.

As to whether you will have success ordering a French SIM and having it sent to a North American address, you´ll just need to try. I believe that Lycamobile, just like Lebara, are UK companies so a SIM request may bypass review by French authorities.

In reference to the special pricing by Lycamobile, I am lead to believe, by the terms of their fixed price offer (the Lycapass), that a credit card is required as the terms state that if alloted call minutes are charged at normal rates if the limits 120/150 are exceeded or if the data limit of 100 Mb is exceed with the 11.90€ plan. Unless you´re using a credit card, there would be no way to charge you for exceeded time/data. If there is a credit card requirement, many unanswered questions present themselves: are the payments made by automatic withdrawal as are so many in France, is a French credit card required, etc.

However, if you ask for a free SIM, you lose nothing so try it and let us know the details.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lycamobile?

Hi Parisamsterdam and Sarastro,

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I will try ordering both Lebara and Lycamobile SIMS and see what I receive. In a way I feel a built guilty because if they both come - one set we probably be waste. But I will chalk it up to doing it for the cause of travel research....

Yes, Sarastro, I personally would be wary of signing up for the Lycapass. Aside from the facts you mentioned, in the terms it talks about automatic recharge. Although they seem to have a link explaining how to turn it off, I would have fears that they would be slow doing so and keep billing for several months...

But it looks like you can top up in increments of 5 Euro and up with no special plan..

https:/…

best wishes for the new year ro all

raquel

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lycamobile?

Requesting SIMs that you may not use is probably not the best interest of those of us who rely upon the good will of mobile companies to offer free SIMs. Choose the SIM you would prefer to use first and see what happens.

The Lycapass cancel procedure is a simple matter of texting *193# at least 24 hours before the renewal date. I doubt the cancellation will be your primary concern, more likely you will have difficulty using your credit card to initiate the offer.

Lycamobile´s prepaid rates to North America, while relatively inexpensive, are significantly more expensive than are Lebara´s. Domestic rates are very similar. Ther real Lycamobile advantage will be in its data offering.

Edited: 31 December 2012, 17:28
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lycamobile?

If you only use one... you can always mail the unused one to someone who's

looking for one in the forum...

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lycamobile?

ParisAmsterdam, Exactly. A few years back when I had an Orange SIM that was still valid, I offered it on the forum and did mail it to someone - the first person to reply to my post...

raquel.

Level Contributor
215 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lycamobile?

I ordered a Lycamobile sim online to be mailed to Australia for our September trip - unfortunately it took for ever to arrive and came while we were away.

I had tried to order another Lebara sim, but got the response I had exceeded my quota! I tried using a friend's address, but she never received it.

On arrival at CDG, I went to the Relay store, but found I could only purchase a Lebara top up. When I got into the city I went to a Tabac, but they also didn't have Lebara, but had Lycamobile, so bought a sim for I think 3 Euros. The gentleman there very kindly set it up and activated it for me.

The calling costs are the same for both for where I need to call, but I found Lebara's customer service easier to deal with.

In the past, I could always recharge my account using an Australian credit card.

8. Re: Lycamobile?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 21:17