We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

China
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

Hi,

We are in our 50s and planning for our first trip to Paris. We know it all come down to our preference, but would like to hear from others about staying at hotel in arrondissemnt 5 or 12.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 09:58
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

Last year when I went for 2 weeks (my 3rd trip) I split my stay into one week in the 12th and one week in the 9th. I was happy to really get a feel for "living in" 2 different areas of Paris and will do that again for my June trip. (I am also 50 but not sure what that has to do with it.)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

I also split once between the the left and right banks. 6th and 8th.

Assuming you don't want to split then between your choices I think 5 is generalky better and more central. Parts of the 5th though are very(maybe too??) lively so where exactly?

China
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

In 5th , Hotel College de France- our first choice is fully booked for our stay in early May. Now looking at Hotel La Familia and Hotel St Pierre and Hotel Cluny Sorbonne, For 12th, read good reviews for Hotel du Printemp. So maybe ..and its within our budget .We prefer near metro and RER B line something quiet and convenient but we are prepare to walk in Paris. I know is a tall list.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

I'm a fan of the 12th. It feels less like touristy Paris and more like the "real" Paris. There's also some great shopping and restaurants in the area.

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

I'm one of the few on the forum that is not a fan of the 12th -- perhaps my walks thu the district have simply taken me down the wrong paths. The area of the 12th along the river, near Gare Lyon, complete with high-rise 1960's office towers is just not the Paris I seek.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,337 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

between the two I would opt for the 12th but you have to be careful where in the 12th as some of it is charming and some isn't -- or perhaps the 5th in the area of the Luxembourg Gardens. I would also consider the 18th well to the west of Sacre Couer. But it really boils down to the specific area as most arrondisements have charming and less charming areas. when you have two weeks you can afford to be further from the center and more concerned about the local area.

for two weeks I would also choose an apartment rather than a hotel as two weeks of eating in restaurants for all my meals would be more than I could handle. I also like the small acts of daily living in a new place e.g. going out for the breakfast bread in the morning, shopping in the food markets etc --

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

I second janet's vote for staying in an apartment. You also get room to spread out and hopefully a washer/dryer.

Little Rock...
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
340 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

Good advice to stay in an apartment. We had a walk up flat in the 5th during September, 2012 and enjoyed it much more than the hotel we used in 2010.

9. Re: which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 21:16
Minnesota
Level Contributor
516 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which arrondissement to stay for two weeks?

With a two week trip I too think staying in different places for a week each sounds pretty cool. I also like apartments. Affordable ones do exist that are so much nicer than a tiny hotel room that also has the exorbitant prices for a breakfast. Or, if you want a larger place or fancy some luxuries get a more expensive one. An apartment gives you a kitchen so with one trip to a grocery store and a morning walk for your baguette or croissants gets you up early. You might also like a washing machine with a two week stay in Paris and many apartments come with one and sometimes with a dryer as well. A hotel room is usually very small. With an apartment you can pay no more but have a bedroom, salon, and kitchen.

My suggestion would be a week on each side of the river, say arrondissement 4 in the Marais and then moving to 5 or 6 on the left bank. Or vice versa, of course.