We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woodstock
13 posts
Save Topic
Europe

My daughter(15 yrs old) will be travelling to Europe with a school trip and I'm wondering about cash vs prepaid credit card. Can i get a prepaid credit card loaded in Euros and if so where is the best place to get one? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,123 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe

Preloaded products are costly and not always functional. If it were me I would open a regular savings account for her with ATM card which would allow you to add money if necessary and she could use the card to withdraw Euros as she needs them. Choose a bank that doesn't charge per withdrawal; if your own bank does not have this policy, find a new bank.

Before she goes acquire 100 Euros through your bank so she has some cash.

I assume that her major expenses of travel and lodging are paid through the group so she won't need a credit card but access to cash as she goes and for this an ATM is the way to go.

Woodstock
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe

Thanks so much!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,754 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe

Hopefully the group is providing similar advice to all of the participants. When my friend and her daughter went to Italy with a school group they were provided with this information and even suggestions about how much money the students would need for spending.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,677 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe

Pre-paid cards in Canada tend to be poor value.

In your case I'd go to my bank and open a special checking account with an ATM card for your daughter to use. Make it a joint account. You can put in the amount she'll need plus a little for fees and you'd be able to top it up if need be.

Be sure to check with the bank if they have a reciprocal arrangement with a French bank... you'll save ATM fees that way. Be sure they're aware of your daughter's travel dates as well.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe

Just to clarify. French banks do not charge any fees for ATM withdrawals. However, the Canadian bank's fees may be reduced or waived if your daughter uses ATMs of an affiliated French bank.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe

When shopping for a bank account, try to find one with no transaction fees AND no currency conversion fees. Credit unions are usually a good choice.

Definitely don't bother with any of the prepaid cards.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,677 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe

Nick,

Thanks for clarifying my comments re bank charges! ;^)

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,301 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe

For instance if your Canadian bank is Scotia Bank, any withdrawals at a BNP-Paribas ATM will not carry charges by Scotia Bank. Withdrawals at any other ATM's will carry a charge of $3.50 per transaction.

9. Re: Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 05:17