We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe with Kids

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Europe with Kids

Hello we are planning to travel to Europe with our Three children , 10, 12 and 1. We would like to do the highlight cities, mainly Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Venic and Florence. I was planning to book a flight into Paris and out of Rome when returning. Could someone give me an idea of this possiblity in 13 days?. We are planning to train, fly or rent a car. Whichever works best.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe with Kids

three kids, one of whom is an infant simply will not be able to do 6 cities in 13 days -- it would be a rushed, high-stress, exhausting trip for adults.

I heartily suggest with kids to pick one or two cities and explore those -- Paris and Amsterdam would make a good pair, because there's a fast rail connection between the two and would eliminate the need for a rental car completely.

A couple of day trips from each city and you'll have a very full schedule.

Consider: your first day and your last day are lost to airport logistics -- the first day is further eaten by jet-lag and fatigue. You lose at least a half a day every time you change cities -- and the further the distance, the more time it takes -- and it takes two nights in one city to get one full day of sightseeing.

With that in mind, it means that you'll be spending 6 of your 13 days schlepping you, your kids, and your luggage across an entire continent -- and just 7 days in 6 cities. Don't do it to your kids -- and don't do it to yourselves.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe with Kids

I heartily agree with Sunshine.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,299 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe with Kids

Amen. And in such a trip at least one kid will get sick -- imagine that in a trip that is all about checking in and out of hotels, packing up and unpacking, rushing to train stations, lugging luggage, figuring out how to get to the hotel and doing it again tomorrow.

a rushed trip would be first 5 nights in Paris next 3 in Amsterdam last 5 in Rome but it would at least be manageable. If it were me (when it was me) I would do two of these and build a little day tripping in. I have spent 10 days in Paris with kids twice, a week in London and a week in Rome and now that the kids are grown back to Paris again for a week at a time. We have happy memories of all of it.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe with Kids

Else you could focus only on 2 places in Italy.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe with Kids

With 13 days and 3 kids, recommend choosing one country. Or, two cities and day trips.

Five major cities in 13 days is just not a good idea. You have to consider the time and logistics required to get from one place to the next. Driving and parking in those cities is difficult and expensive (parking).

You may also find accommodations to be a challenge, so should look into that. Family rooms that accommodate five are not common, nor are adjoining rooms.

The best bet for families are vacation apartments, particularly for having a bit of privacy after the kids go to bed, room to spread out. Having a kitchen and dining area is a huge advantage for feeding kids. Things like beverages are not cheap (and even more expensive in restaurants).

The more destinations you plan, the more homework you have to do in advance - seeing and doing, getting around, dining, etc.

Traveling by train with three children and all your belongings may not be as easy or convenient (or economical) as you would presume. Rental cars are not inexpensive, nor fuel and tolls. Have a look at airfares from one destination to the next and research getting from/to those airports from city centers.

If this is your first trip to Europe, you really should simplify until you have some experience.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,680 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe with Kids

13 days for 3 cities in Italy is do-able. Or just Paris and Amsterdam. 2 of those days don't count as they are arrival/departure days.

Edited: 19 January 2013, 20:42
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe with Kids

I totally agree with all of the above.

One or 2 countries otherwise no one will enjoy your trip... none even you.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,840 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe with Kids

Three out of five of your picks are in Italy, so perhaps just visit Italy. It'll be easier to read up and prepare for a trip to one country, and with 3 kids it's also more realistic.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,098 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Europe with Kids

Totally agree with the consensus that as planned this would be like riding a conveyor belt in a chocolate factory. With children, I'd do three cities (maximum) in one country.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,096 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Europe with Kids

Wow, have you done this type of trip before, it sounds way too much and with a one year old too!!

I agree with flying into one place ( say Paris and out of Rome) , you could price Airtransat for that they do offer 'multi destination "tickets.

From PAris you could fly to Venice on Vueling or perhaps Easyjet, then train to Rome and fly home from there. Thats three places and more then enough, personally to me 13 days and 3 kids is two places but others have other ideas.