We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

Vancouver, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

Hi,

I am frying from Rome to Paris (CDG), and then to Seattle, WA.

In Paris, I have only 1 hour and 20 min. For health reason, I cannot run. Is this too tight? I have no idea what the airport like and if I need to go through custom and takes time.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

There is no airport in the world where a 1+20 international connection will guarantee a high degree of success. Most will probably make it, others might not.

If you are unlucky and miss your connection, you will be given a seat on the next available flight, not necessarily the next scheduled flight. It might be the same day (there are only a limited number of transatlantic departures in any given day) and it might not be the same day.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

It will depends in which terminal / gate you arrive and from which you leave.

But a few time I had 1h for my transfer ( From 2G to 2E or similar transfert all in terminal 2) and I never needed to run to manage being on time for my 2nd flight so I don't think you will have any problem with a 1h 20 min layover.

One other thing, there is a very efficient bus service within the airport

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

I'm with Sarastro -- I learned very quickly when traveling internationally for business that a connection of less than 2 hours with an international flight is an exercise in gambling.

If there is any way to move one or the other of your flights, it would be far better, particularly if you have a mobility issue. Perhaps you can reschedule the flight from Rome-Paris to the night before, scoring you a halfway decent night's sleep and far less stress.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 15:43
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,694 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

I am assuming this is a single through booked trip -- if not you are in big trouble

assuming this is one ticket, I would call the airline and tell them you have mobility issues and need a longer layover and see what they can do for you

this is too tight especially since a late arrival is not uncommon (3 of our last 4 cross atlantic flights have come in late -- one was 5 hours late -- you are a little better off on a domestic European flight but they can still be late coming in)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

especially this time of year -- 40% of flights were cancelled, and a lot more than that delayed, during the bad weather earlier this week.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

Are you traveling on one ticket or two?

Will you have any checked bags? Will they be checked through?

Do you know the scheduled arrival and departure terminals?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

I agree with all of the above, although please do NOT fret. There are connecting flights from Tel Aviv to the U.S. via Amsterdam that are only 40 minutes and they've had this route for years and years and I have yet to hear complaints about it (having flown out of Tel Aviv just last June).

It will also largely depend on is it the same airlines, in which case, the gates are clustered together and could be just a hop from 1 gate to several more gates and you're there.

This is NOT an international flight arriving in Paris. I know that this can be viewed as an exercise in gambling. True, but please remember that airlines will not cluster their connecting flights too close if there had been too many complaints, because people will just simply refuse to book through them and they will lose money. That's another way of looking at it.

I have also observed that some pilots/airlines are very lenient , charitable and considerate, in that they try to wait a few more minutes for connecting passengers before taking off. Been there, done that. I've seen this over and over again.

Good luck to you and I know you will have a great trip. Godbless.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 17:54
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

"This is NOT an international flight arriving in Paris. "

And that is **exactly** why 1hr20 is an issue. Just like Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Frankfurt, London (both airports) and every other major international airport, domestic (in this case, EU) flights do not land at the same terminal as international (longhaul, intercontinental) flights.

The distances are long, the airport is busy, and if OP can change the flights, it would be a far better experience for the OP.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
264 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

I have made that direction in 45 minutes at CDG, but I would never, ever do it again. Airlines have become notorious for not allowing enough time at CDG. Just review some of the comments on the cruise discussion boards. I have landed in E and needed to go to D. We thought we had it made, but they put us on a transfer bus that let us out at A or B (can't remember). Then I had to go back through security, back through passport control (never left the EU, flight was from Greece) and then to D. The signage was confusing to me as well and had to ask several times. I have had 3 bad experiences at CDG all the same - round the whole airport just to get between two terminals. By the way, I did make it all three times. One time they were holding the plane a few minutes as they knew some of us were coming. Do not stop to get something to eat, use the restroom, etc. until you can actually see your gate and know you will make it. I will only book flights through CDG with a 2 hour layover because I don't want the stress.

Vancouver, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time do I need for transfer at CDG?

Thank you for all the kind advise and information! I really appreciate it.

My flight is Rome - Paris - Seattle - Victoria. Yes... so If I change one I think, I have to change the rest as well.

I will try to change them so that I have a bit more time in between. I booked the ticket online, but I imagine it's the best to call the airline for changing the flight?

In Paris, I think I'll arrive T-F2 and leave from T-E2 (not very far on the map). But I am not sure if I have to go through the security, then it's another long line up...

This is my spring trip, so I still have 3 months. I hope I can change the flight smoothly with whoever helps me!

Thanks bunch!!