We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris musical theatre in english?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Paris musical theatre in english?

who knows if there is any english musical in Paris? such as les miserables, Lion King, Billy Elliot, Mama Mia, Wicked, ect.

Thank You!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris musical theatre in english?

For the moment no...when are coming?

Essex
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris musical theatre in english?

Um, Musicals in Paris are predominantly for the enjoyment of the indigenous population, who speak...... um.... French!

I doubt that a Theatre Co. is going to go to the massive expense of putting on a live production, and then using a language that is not 'native' to the country.

You might strike lucky of course, but don't bank on it....

If you know the 'plot' and the 'songs' I'm sure you could follow a show, even if not in English, but that would be up to you....

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris musical theatre in english?

From where are you traveling to Paris? If you are coming from the US, you may want to make a stopover in New York City. My daughter and I did this one year from Los Angeles. Spent two nights in NYC, saw two Broadway shows, and then flew from there to Paris. It was a great plan--made the flight to Paris shorter for us, too! Also, the London west end theater offerings are something you might consider. From London to Paris by train is only about 2 and a half hours, so a week-long stay (for example) could include two nights in London and 5 in Paris.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris musical theatre in english?

There are quite often French versions of such classics at Theatre Mogador, so you may indeed find at leat some common grounds with your expectations there: www.stage-entertainment.fr/theatre-mogador

Theatre du Chatelet also sometimes has such musicals: http://chatelet-theatre.com/2012-2013/

California
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris musical theatre in english?

Not musical, but "Much Ado About Nothing" (Shakespeare) will be presented in English at Galerie de Nesle Theater thru the end of March.

galeriedenesle.com/modules/…

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris musical theatre in english?

Carousel is coming to Théâtre Chatelet this season. It will be performed in English with French supertitles

France
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris musical theatre in english?

Just read about musical theatre in Paris this summer (in English) playbill.com/news/article/178852-Jason-Rober…

The productions this summer are by http://amtlive.org/

Looks like they have year round musical theatre performances

Edited: 08 June 2013, 15:11
Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris musical theatre in english?

EssexWanderer - if this were true (which it is not), there would be only movies dubbed in French, too. However, there are dubbed French versions as well as original language versions and also original language versions with French subtitles. Operas are always in the original language, with subtitles in French.

In Paris, American musicals are put on by international companies, who spare no expense in bringing English-language entertainment to the masses - who speak many languages, French being just one of them.

Edited: 08 June 2013, 16:29
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
839 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris musical theatre in english?

Recently The Full Monty was on stage in Paris and the performance was in English two days a week.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris musical theatre in english?

Théâtre du Châtelet is the only theatre in Paris that puts on big musical productions in English. All of the other "international" musicals imported as big productions are performed by a French speaking/singing cast. This was already true when I saw Hair at the Porte Saint Martin back in 1971.

I must also point out that Les Misérables is a musical of French origin and yet it strangely seems to be performed in English in English speaking countries.