We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montmartre dangerous?

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Montmartre dangerous?

I'm looking forward too book on Le Village hostel in Paris, located in Montmartre. What concerns me is that I've read that Montmartre is a dangerous place, specially at night:

Is it really so dangerous and dodgy?

Any tips for avoiding problems at Montmartre ?

Thanks...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,021 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montmartre dangerous?

Where have you read this nonsense? Montmartre is charming and safe.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montmartre dangerous?

After reading quite a few hostel reviews. Good to know it's not so much as I read.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montmartre dangerous?

It's not dangerous but you may notice some young men in the more touristy areas near Sacre Coeur who approach people to try to get them to buy something like a wristband or trinket. Some people have reported that these men have become a little aggressive, but I have had no trouble at all when I just ignore them and keep walking. I make a point of not looking at them or their trinkets. You'll be fine and there is no "danger."

It's a very charming area, just away from the busiest tourist section, on the north and west sides of Sacre Coeur.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,069 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montmartre dangerous?

Lamarck area has some very good restaurants, and food shops.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montmartre dangerous?

The hostel on rue d'Orsel is not on the most charming street, but you will learn your way around. The area of Montmartre mentioned here (around Sacre Coeur or Lamarck) are north of the hostel. Have a look at a good map, learn to navigate, etc. It makes sense that an inexpensive hostel will not have every location amenity, right?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,178 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montmartre dangerous?

There are streets in Montmartre where I feel unsafe. Your hostel may be on one of them. I'd listen to the advice to the people who have stayed there. And be very on your guard... You may want to hook up with fellow trvalers so you don't have to come home alone in the evenings.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,021 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montmartre dangerous?

I have never felt unsafe in Montmartre. Different people, different feelings.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,860 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montmartre dangerous?

You've also never been an unaccompanied female late at night who is at a physical disadvantage (physical size, upper-body strength).

No offense, but it's different. It's not fair, and it shouldn't be that way, but it is. There are places in Paris where if you are an unaccompanied female, that you're better off just not going late at night.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 13:21
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montmartre dangerous?

Many of the "ladies" in the area may be called Pancho in real life.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,860 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montmartre dangerous?

they aren't at the physical disadvantage, in most cases, of those with two x chromosomes.