We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

Please don't make fun: believe me, I'd eat dairy and sugar in Paris if I could. Any truly yummy vegan baked goods to be found? I'd prefer someplace that uses rice or barley malt, or even maple syrup, rather than the dreaded sucanat, but hey, all suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance!

SFpeninsula
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

Do bears sleep in the woods ?

Paris has it all.

!"£$%^&*
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

Hi Austen

I assume from the lack of replies that the answer is no. I've been here six weeks now and although not vegan have enough problem getting vegetarian food. The waiters here seem to think that fish, ham and chicken are all vegetables!! It must be (almost) impossible to be vegan here.

I think you will have to give up your idea of bakeries but if you do find some please let me know!

boston
Level Contributor
330 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

Wowwow, look to the cityvox.fr website and go to the listings of popular restaurants. From there, you can do a search on 'vegetarian' , even by arrondissement. The search spits out a list of 42 places. There are pictures, ratings, opinions, maps... everything. I am not trying to 'sell' this website - but everytime someone asks about a type of restaurant, I go to that site. It will give you a list of restaurants with terraces, for example..

Specify Paris as your city and use the English option. And be prepared to decipher the reviews, which are contributed by diners and written in French. They do make an attempt to translate into English but the English translations can be awkward.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

Why is maple syrup ok if you can't eat sugar? Maple syrup is sugar from a plant, so , is sugar( sugar cane or beets) am I missing some important info here?

I imagine finding a bakery that uses ONLY non animal based fats will be impossible. Most use butter, and butter as my diehard vegan friend says is animal based so she won't touch it. She eats only items made from vegatable oils.

ouest
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

joan1: From what I understand about "veganism" (and it isn't all that much, just what I've been told and have researched), "processed [white] sugar" has traditionally been "processed" using "animal bone char" (or tiny bits of bones to help pulverize the sugar).

This would be the contention of a Vegan eating refined sugar.

Maple syrup, a "raw" sugar, does not (normally) go through this type of "refinement", so is a better substitute for a Vegan.

Austen14: Did I explain that right?

Anyhoo, while I don't doubt that the Vegan movement has migrated over to France, it will be extremely difficult to find mainstream outlets for the types of goods you are looking for. There are several Vegetarian places which have started, but totally Vegan is a tuff sell.

Best of luck..... maybe a good entrepreneurial undertaking????

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

fichtre, thanks , that sounds like a good explanation to me.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

Also , Austen I am not making fun of you, but , I am curious, you say you would eat diary and sugar " if I could" , so is this a health issue, because if it is , then I think maple sugar is still sugar.

Pacific NW
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

Joan,

Many illnesses are affected by processed flour, sugar and dairy products. Crohn's disease is one of them. Perhaps the OP is not comfortable disclosing a medical condition and/or this may be a religious or cultural matter as well.

paris
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

There is one vegan restaurant in Paris : Au Grand Apétit 9 rue de la Cerisaie (4th)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any truly yummy vegan bakeries in Paris?

You have to go to specialty shops like La vie claire and others.

I am not too familiar with them as I have no dietary problems. But I occasionally go to buy whole wheat pasta and on those occasions I see the specialty breads snd cookies. Are they yumm... now there is a whole other question.