We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

Tried to book a train from Paris to Reims last night via tgv-europe.com and after submitting my CC info, it went through all the hoops of verification screens and then spit out a rejection. I'm using a British Airways Chase Visa. I called Chase this morning and they show no rejected transactions on their end and I was able to book train tickets the same night on the Belgium railway site.

I tried my Capital One Visa as well and it was also rejected. Maybe there was a hickup last night on their servers. I'm going to try again tonight since I know a rejected card on their site requires a 24 weight before they will accept it. Any suggestions of what I might do to get tickets successfully?

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

Last year, I had trouble with a Visa on TGV site. My American Express card went right through.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

This is always a tough question -- "whose fault is it?" Having been the credit card authority at my airline for 35 years, all I can say is that generally it is your bank's fault for having excessive security on foreign transactions. When that is not the case, often the fault is shared at both ends -- the SNCF has a security protocol which other banks accept or reject. Is the protocol too strict? I don't know. For example, in France, when I buy a ticket from the SNCF, the transaction is not validated until I receive an SMS on my mobile phone and enter it on the site. In my own opinion, this is already going too far, but then again, I don't know what the level of fraud has been on bookings in the past.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

If you are trying to book an iDTGV train, it seems that SNCF may have tighter security for these trains. Try booking an ordinary TGV.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

Okay, I actually noticed that TGV allows for paypal as a payment type. I went ahead and used my paypal account funded by my British Airways Visa and that went through smoothly. This seems like the easiest way to purchase tickets.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

Call your bank and tell them you're trying to make a foreign transaction. If they don't have that on file, your card will be rejected when you use it for all foreign transactions. Most American banks have very tight foreign security restrictions, but a phone call is usually all it takes to fix the issue (I've had to do this with Capital One in the past).

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

Robm103,

As stated I called my CC provider and they did not reject any transactions. Also note that I used the exact same card a few days prior to order tickets from Amsterdam to Antwerp via the Belgium railway site and also bought tickets from the same Belgium railway site on the same night TGV rejected my payment.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

Be sure to also alert them before you actually take the trip and give him your travel dates and destination(s).

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
20,957 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

<<As stated I called my CC provider and they did not reject any transactions.>>

You have to speak to someone in the Fraud Department, not just whoever answers the phone in Customer Service. Quickest way is to use the "if lost or stolen number" or choose the menu option for same.

Reps in the Fraud Department can "see" transactions that were blocked, whereas the CS reps can see rejected transactions but not blocked transactions.

People have reported no problems after taking the online steps for "Verified by Visa" or "Mastercard Secure Code" (though I have not tried that myself).

With my Capital One card, I phone the Fraud Department rep just ahead of completing the transaction. The rep stays on the phone, removes the fraud protection to allow the transaction to go through, then replaces the fraud protection.

I noticed that PayPal is now an option on the TGV-Europe website. I wonder if there are any fees, currency conversion, involved with that?

Here are some details

http://help.tgv-europe.com/en/payment/paypal

Edited: 25 January 2013, 23:02
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
945 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

" I wonder if there are any fees, currency conversion, involved with that?"

In a word - yes!

Because of the strength of the Canadian dollar, we tend to follow PayPal's currency conversions very closely when making purchases in US funds; PayPal's spread is usually heavily weighted in its favor, often moreso than regular financial institutions and CC companies. I imagine the same would apply when the transaction is in Euros.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CC rejected trying to book train on TGV...

I am a bit hesitant to use paypal for travel purchases so far, because I am afraid if there is any problem with service and products not delivered as promised, then the course for refunds or corrections is more complicated than straight CC purchase. CCs have fairly rigorous guidelines for consumers protections and rights, paypal has...paypals. It probably will do right by you but will take longer to sort it out? Would like feedback if anyone have experience with this.