We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

Eastchester, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

Hello,

I am a first time "poster" to TA and am hoping that someone might be able to help. I am planning an 11 night trip to Paris for my family (self, husband and 2 children, ages 8 and 10). I am in the process of renting an apartment on Rue Charlot (#27) and have come across some comments after a search on the web about some possibly inappropriate bars/establishments on the street (at #34 and maybe also #28). Given the fact that the children will be with us, this is obviously a little cause for concern. But I am not certain if the web sources are believable. Can anyone help and maybe offer some info regarding Rue Charlot by day and more importantly by night?

Many thanks in advance!

M

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

Inappropriate? How so?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,329 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

I love the rue Charlot. It is one of my favorite streets in the city. I've been there several times with my daughter after dinner and neither of us has observed anything inappropriate. And if there is any "inappropriate" activity taking place, it will be going on inside the bars. Which means your kids would never know because 1/ it would be after their bedtime, 2/ they're probably not spending much time in bars just yet.

You'll be near a cute park and a fantastic market with lots of lovely food stands. Tons of young, trendy families live in the area. Enjoy!!!!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

I agree. It's a darling little street with all kinds of lovely little boutiques and cafés and restaurants. Very, very classic Parisian.

Eastchester, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

Sorry, I can't say specifically. But I only can surmise that they might be of the "adult entertainment" variety. Again, I have only gotten this a vague web search. And I'm not overly concerned about the area by day. But I am a bit preoccupied about walking around in the evening with the children. Hope that no one takes offense. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the area. But would like to know so that I know how to proceed. Thanks.

Eastchester, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

Thank you phread and stcirq! You have really reassured me that there is really no issue at all!

Edited: 27 January 2013, 18:17
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

I'm curious too. There are bars/establishments all over Paris, what makes these inappropriate?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

Then I'd suggest that you'll find many, many parts of Paris inappropriate.

Eastchester, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

Ha! You just gave me a really good laugh! Very well, then we'll just have to walk briskly and keep our heads down. That is very Parisian too...isn't it?

Edited: 27 January 2013, 18:30
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

I'd be more concerned about avoiding pickpockets, petition girls, and ring droppers than what may or may not be happening in a bar/establishment that I am not patronizing.

Eastchester, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris - Marais - Rue Charlot

Why the bitter reply? I simply do to want to encounter a situation with 2 elementary school aged children that they really do not need to be exposed to at their age.