We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Nightmare

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona, Spain
2 posts
Save Topic
Paris Nightmare

I'm travelling to Paris for the first time and my friends told me you need to be careful of pickpockets. I just did a search online and found this scary article: http://goo.gl/jXJ7O

What does everyone think is this possible / likely????

Me worried:

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Nightmare

Read the "sticky" on the topic list about "needless worrying." Also, since you are from Barcelona, you are probably more aware of the precautions to take than many others who travel from sleepy little towns or suburbs. On the lists of major pickpocketing risks (that I've read), Barcelona is usually right at the top. This is not meant as an insult or as a way to dismiss your concern, but rather as a way to help you avoid worrying and just take action to minimize your risk (and living in Barcelona already might mean that these precautions are almost second nature for you.)

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
933 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Nightmare

Note the date of that post: 2008. They don't do that anymore.

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Nightmare

I've been in Paris a few times and never been pick pocketed (or known that anyone considered pick pocketing me), but that may just be luck on my part. I think it is wise to plan in advance how to secure your belongings and there are a multitude of posts about how to do so. I liked the idea of safety pinning the pocket the wallet is in. Hadn't thought of that before. However, I don't know if my husband would do that. He does carry his wallet in his front pocket. As for me I carry a small purse that crosses over in front of me with my wallet in the back pocket against my body--not in the front--to at least make it a bit more difficult for the thieves. I was on the metro this New Years after midnight (a prime time to be stolen from) and I had my purse inside my buttoned up coat at all times. My husband and I do split up our money between us so that neither one of us has all the money and we only take out what we will need for the day.

Don't stress over being a target for pick picketers. Just be aware it can happen and be careful.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Nightmare

Agree with Mc.....Barcelona has a much worse reputation than Paris!

If you have any other questions about your visit get back to us!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Nightmare

Everything really hinges on COMMON SENSE. Keep your wallet and valuables in a neck pouch hidden under your jacket, and not in your backpack where you cannot feel anyone's hands getting into the outer pockets. I love using crossbody purses because at least one of my hands is over the purse and I keep it in front of my hips/abdominal area.

I've heard stories where you are not advised to sit by the doors of the metro because of the easy grab as the door closes but it's really just all common sense. I never saw that happen.

I've been to Paris 2x also and never seen nor experienced anything malicious but you just never know. There is nothing wrong with being aware of your surroundings but don't let any of this scare you off either. There are pickpockets everywhere, even where I live here in the U.S.

Enjoy your trip.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,208 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Nightmare

Within the last couple of years, I know two people who were pick pocketed on the Paris métro. One was a resident of Paris and should have known better. The other was my elderly rather who was traveling with me. I keep valuables zipped into a special pocket and lost nothing. My father lost money but luckily we recovered his wallet.

Pickpocketing is a known problem in large European cities, Paris is no exception, particularly on the métro. Common sense dictates that precautions be taken.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,746 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Nightmare

I am surprised that having done a search you found a 4 yr old post to discuss. There are hundreds of more recent threads and posts on pickpocketing in both Paris and Barcelona( throw Rome in there too)

Barcelona is just as bad if not worse then Paris, so same common sense rules apply to both places.

I think the title of your thread "Paris Nightmare" is needlessly inflammatory.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Nightmare

Nod Joanie.....nod

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Nightmare

Odd that someone from Barcelona would be concerned about pickpockets in Paris and cite a 4-year-old posting about it. And "Paris Nightmare" is just silly. Surely living in Barcelona has taught you a few lessons about protecting your valuables.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Nightmare

I smell troll...